New Kilogram definition

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are two other forces at work besides gravity
I presume you mean magnetism and buoyancy.

We should substitute lead (as is usual) for steel in order to eliminate magnetism and then take into account the buoyancy of the air.

In a vacuum, a kg of lead and a kg of feathers would weigh the same. In air the feathers, due to a larger buoyant force, would appear to weigh around 0.01N less.

I've failed a few mathematics exams in my time, but see post #43 where I correctly use the newton (N) when referring to weight. ;)
This is rocket science, man !
A true story. The village idiot ( that was way back, when political correctness did not banned these men ) was giving services like fetching goods nearbys with a two wheel hand cart.
Some day, my grandfather was charged a higher fee. That was because "100 Kg of potatoes is much heavier than 100 Kg of coal".
Needless to say, he paid and did not try to explain. He was a teacher, kept trying to teach him, to read a clock, a couple of easy round hours, "quarter to" was hopeless.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The bizarre thing is that the US refused the metric system for being 'too french' and so retained the medieval french Avoirdupois system to this day.

SI is actually the official weights and measures system for trade of the United States, however it's not compulsory. Most packages will have the SI living right next to the Imperial. (see photo)

It is getting more common for SI to be used in schools, but again, it's not required.

Generally speaking it's becoming more and more common in use, particularly in manufacturing, as everybody else uses it.

A set of metric wrenches and spanners has been required to work on American cars since the 80's. (Although still, it's 1/2 Metric, 1/2 Imperial. Makes no sense, so I buy German cars... :) )

take-flight-np-02.jpg

A set of metric wrenches and spanners has been required to work on American cars since the 80's. (Although still, it's 1/2 Metric, 1/2 Imperial. Makes no sense, so I buy German cars... :) )

I had a flat near home and needed AAA to unfreeze the bolts on my Saab. A year later I had a blowout in the middle of nowhere and the AAA guy that showed up didn't have a metric tire iron. It turned out that the first guy had stolen the one that came with the car.

I had a flat near home and needed AAA to unfreeze the bolts on my Saab. A year later I had a blowout in the middle of nowhere and the AAA guy that showed up didn't have a metric tire iron. It turned out that the first guy had stolen the one that came with the car.
I never trusted the flimsy wrench that comes with the spare tire, I don't even look at it. I keep in the trunk the X wrench that does 4 common metric tire bolts ( with true heavy duty jumper cables ).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.