New Jordan driver - preliminary details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jordan and Bandor have been championing the benefits a low-crossover, wideband driver since the late 70s.

30 years on, we're seeing BMR-based speakers appear which push the same philosophy, such as the Naim, Etude and the Martin Colloms Rhythm King DIY design.

What goes around, etc …

Yep. A good idea, but certainly not a new one, now masqurading under that loathsome 'FAST' (give me strength) moniker.

What once was old is again new. :rolleyes:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

When i saw that on an earlier post i guessed this Madisound Speaker Store

fw108n.jpg

dave

Talaerts,

How about ordering a flat-pak from TwinAudio and going to Hong Kong for a day trip to pay Mark a visit and pick up the drivers (and the flat-paks)... should save you the post, and there should be a few good deals for Sg-HK from the budget airlines operators... :D

You can check out a few other things audio in Hong Kong too.

In fact my job (and girlfriend :) ) regularly bring me to Hong Kong so yes indeed, a visit to MarkAudio may be possible. I do know that there is a very special, unique even, shop here in Singapore that next to their own tube amps also sell empty cabinets, but then it will be a matter if the volume corresponds to a reasonable tuning.

Unlikely the shape is different and hey cannot replace the old JX92 in old cabinets!

Renato

Indeed, as summarized on the Jordan site:

The most immediately obvious visual change in the shape of the chassis. We fully appreciate that this prevents it from being a drop-in replacement without some modification to the cabinet. However, there were two compelling reason for this change.
Firstly, the quality of the original chassis was inadequate for the weight of the new magnet.
Secondly, we saw the opportunity to significantly improve the bass performance in terms of extension, linearity and power handling. This required a larger, custom designed suspension, which would not fit the original chassis. A circular chassis would have needed to be much larger. The new chassis shape overcomes all these problems. It is also a more suitable shape for use in array configurations.

Anyone else a little disappointed the new Jordan's won't be a direct drop in replacement? I understand that many cabinet designs could be altered but it more or less renders obsolete my spherical speaker designs using this new driver.

Plus I always think that a round chassis suited the design. Anyone suggest another manufacturer that I could use with a similar/identical chassis footprint and similar performance to the JX92?

Anyone else a little disappointed the new Jordan's won't be a direct drop in replacement? I understand that many cabinet designs could be altered but it more or less renders obsolete my spherical speaker designs using this new driver.

Plus I always think that a round chassis suited the design. Anyone suggest another manufacturer that I could use with a similar/identical chassis footprint and similar performance to the JX92?

progress, dude ;) - let the anger go :D

Other than the Jordan-USA's E 100HD, there is one other manufacturer of metal cone FR drivers with which many of us are familiar, but he uses a polymer plastic material for frames, and none I think would have similar/identical footprint and performance to the now superceded (Ted) Jordan JX92

I'm just disappointed that manufacturers use odd shaped baskets at all!
I can appreciate having it round with the top and bottom lopped off for arrays and MTM's but to make all sides of the basket oddly shaped is just inconsiderate to DIYers.
I'm having this trouble with the vifa tc9's.
I mean.....we don't all have CNC routers!
:mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.