new home for my 12LTA (and family)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If it didn't require a sub it would be like the linked vintage speaker.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/08/387/38708/a.jpg

This is something I've considered for a large 'el cheapo' speaker since the BIB for it is so large, though it would still need to be about 10.6 ft^3 tuned to ~36 Hz, but in a tall corner cab it wouldn't take up a whole lot of living room space and the corner gain might offset its low Xmax enough not to need a sub for all but some organ and LFE special effects. Only one way to know for sure though.

GM

you might give consideration to a box of the size used by hammer dynamics or Thorsten Loesh's "afterburner" project as it wouldn't take up much more real estate

Yeah - 10.5cft with a port touned to about 35Hz makes the -3dB around 30Hz which is PLENTY deep!

used modeling clay on the basket (rings like a bell, I could hear it once I treated one of the units), and had planet 10 make phase plugs (long time ago, they were his first big plugs)

I covered my basket in caulk but am gonna redo it with play dough. The phase plugs make a massive difference smoothing out the sound

These speakers give a LOT of bang for the buck. I am driving them with a 750mw per channel Darling amp, and even with this limited power will easily fill my office. Most visitors are amazed at the dynamics and full bass, particularly at low (usual in office) volume settings.

Haha I miss-read that and thought you were saying 750w was enough :spin:
It's goo to know that small amount of power is enough. I'm thinking of battery powered 2024 board from Arjen Helder per side and maybe, one day some valve loveliness

>>> An Onken for the 12LTA - interesting

I bet that would be amazing!

I would love a corner loaded Onken for the 12lta + a tweeter. If it didn't require a sub it would be like the linked vintage speaker

Looks like a classic Tannoy GRF corner cabinet Zilla. I've not heard these ones but I was privileged to hear a pair of Tannoy Westminsters + 2A3 valve amp = the most beautiful sound I'd heard this side of a full orchestra

BTW can you guys, get BBC iPlayer outside of the UK? If you can, look under the music section and see if you can find Adele live at the Royal Albert Hall. Its very intimate as she explains the meaning of the songs to her and at 46 min in she even get the audience to sing part of 'someone like you' A few thousand in the RAH WOW!! - A really special recording

EDIT: available on blueray now etc.......

Last edited:
sorry for the delay chaps - something is happening i promise

in the meantime WRT the finish of 12LTA's new home. This is a well known image from the AN page.

How the devil did he do that? Is some kind of self adhesive design, sprayed on??????

Attachments

• cabinets.jpg
    cabinets.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 263
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How the devil did he do that? Is some kind of self adhesive design, sprayed on??????

You take the full size graphic as a pdf or illustrator file to the sign shop and they print it with weather proof ink on sticky one side vinyl, you peel it off and stick it on. A good example are the graphic adds on transit buses.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• bus-ad.jpg
    bus-ad.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 515
I was thinking something like this well known image on a big ol' OB....

Not sure what would be best for a cabinet though? A painting/scene needs a flat surface really doesn't it? Would a pattern be best for a cabinet?

Attachments

• wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 202
Also on the subject of finishing well I'm looking into housing my FT17H's.

I think I'm gonna turn them into a copy of the higher spec/cost units

Think metal at the front and nice turned wood at the back instead of black.....

Attachments

• Fostex T90A-EX.jpg
    Fostex T90A-EX.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 390
  • Fostex T500amk2.jpg
    Fostex T500amk2.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 355
>>> An Onken for the 12LTA - interesting

I bet that would be amazing!

I would love a corner loaded Onken for the 12lta + a tweeter. If it didn't require a sub it would be like the linked vintage speaker.

http://www.hifido.co.jp/photo/08/387/38708/a.jpg

Zilla

--

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/88104-bbbib-bigger-badder-bib-speaker-26.html#post1569902

12lta BIB!

Isn't that interesting Zilla, the corner cabinets.

a.jpg

If I didn't know better, I thought I was looking at a later rendition of the Warfedale Airedales my Father handed down to me before he passed away. We picked them up in Bitburg Germany in 1964, and they have been with the family ever since. I'm looking at them right now.

Here is an exact copy of what mine look like.

wharfedale-airedale-speakers-15-woofers-3-way-1.jpg

I wonder who made the other ones? And I wonder what is inside them?

Well I thought it might relate to John L's post. Just found a post on Decware's forum where someone took the drivers from their Hammer Dynamics Super 12's and used them in the Pro12M and was much happier. Said he had to use the tuning board thing at the bottom of the page.

The decware looks line an interesting cabinet but i am not sure how it's tuned and not sure how to sim something like this. It looks like an Onken to me. As good as the Hammer is their box is very simple. Having had the Beta12lta in a ported box (although much smaller at approx 2.5 cubic feet) i believe this driver deserves a better box... or no box at all, depending on the application.

Peace,
Zilla

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.