new home for my 12LTA (and family)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looked at these http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Beta_12LTA_cab.pdf

And then tried winISD again and managed to get a 5cft ported enclosure to look sensible. Details are: 2 ports 68mm dia and 157mm long and its -3db down at 50hz (-9db at 30hz) With a 7cft ported enclosure its -3db at 38hz!!

I'm wondering if I could get away without a Sub?

But 'I LOVE THOSE BIG FAT BETA 15's SOOOOOOOOO MUCH' :D :hbeat: :worship: :rofl:

One issue with OB is that my 12LTA's have decorators caulk all over the basket - they are fugly from the front but from behind....i bet SHREK would look better naked!

Having even lowly Alpha 15s i can understand completely why you love the Beta's. I doubt the 12lta in even 10 cf cabs would match their musicality. But 5 cf or larger seems about right to get bass from the 12lta. Maybe do smaller sealed 12lta's plus tweeters in cabs like the one your wife likes and build a stand alone sub using both Beta 15s that acts as a table of sorts sitting behind and between.

Having even lowly Alpha 15s i can understand completely why you love the Beta's. I doubt the 12lta in even 10 cf cabs would match their musicality. But 5 cf or larger seems about right to get bass from the 12lta. Maybe do smaller sealed 12lta's plus tweeters in cabs like the one your wife likes and build a stand alone sub using both Beta 15s that acts as a table of sorts sitting behind and between.

Yeah i was thinking of 2 subs of about 5cft each. Will see if this spoils the layout my wife has in mind for the room. I think my wife is set on the siple box design though to maybe the beta's will go in the side of the cabinet - that gives extra tuning ability as well as I can sway the speakers L to R to have subs inwards or outwards.

Let the bargaining begin :p..
...Must admit she'll win........damn I love her :D

Mrs JRKO won :captain: - I lost :cannotbe:

So I'm gonna give the speakers one last hurrah as they are (All day loud music at large village hall)........and then the deconstruction begins :bawling:

Beta 15's and sub amps will be stored

I'm gonna rough up a 7cft vented cabinet which should see me to -3db at 40hz or so out of the remnants of the current enclosures.

As soon as I started reading this thread of the WAF mentioning a slimmer enclosure and you mentioning the fact that you really like the looks of separate enclosures, I immediately thought of firing the Beta on the side of its own enclosure.

I would build the bass enclosure just as wide as the 12LTA baffle will be, but then you can increase the depth of the Beta enclosure to get the airspace you need. Mount the driver low and towards the rear and have multiple ports facing the rear and above the driver.

If you wanted to, you could do a OB for the 12LTA by simply covering the rear of the baffle with grille cloth and a thin wood frame. Of course, you could also acoustically treat the rear of the baffle along with the top portion of the bass enclosure and still have it all covered by said grille cloth, keeping the "fugly" factor to a minimum.

I guess you would have the tweeter mounted on the same baffle as the 12LTA as it is now or at least in a similar fashion.

Last edited:
"resistance is futile"

Gonna leave the subs alone for while.

Simmed a box in WinISD that seems to work ok - well i think i did - pretty multicoloured curves all over the place :D

5cft is the target and I've managed to get myself a 809H x 500W x 350D cabinet that is pretty much dead on the golden ratio thimgy on the face of the speaker. With 2 68mm dia vents 71mm long its tuned to 35.4Hz. The plot trails off smoothly from 70Hz and is -3dB at 45Hz

thanks for the suggestions & help so far guys.

Unfortunately, the corners are no longer mine - Instead I have free space

The plan is that we both dislike having the TV as the focus of the room - we don't have TV TV anyway - we just watch movies/TV Shows from itunes

Its late so i scribbled it down and used my iPhone to get it on here. Cross hatched area is sofa with bay window behind now. Hifi will be on low units along the wall where the sofa doesn't touch.

Attachments

• photo-11.JPG
    photo-11.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 272
I need to ask one thing though. If i model a Beta15 in a 5cft box vented or not, the curve in WinISD is rubbish - not much better than the 12lta in fact. How can I throw the sub amp into the the equation? I can set the pass freq and have gain control but how can you add that to the program to get accurate curves? Is it just a case of knowing that a 5cft cab with a Beta15 will go low as you please with a sub amp?

jrko,
How about the 15 in an H or U frame? I now have my 12LTAs in a 4 cubic foot sealed box over woofers in an H frame and the sound is great. Two of them one facing forward one facing backward. The bass is much better then with the same woofers in a vented box. Since you have gain control on the bass amp you don't have to worry about how loud it plays, but how good it sounds. With the unboxed woofers it seems to me that the bass is more "realistic". Each instrument has it's own sound instead of just the sound of my box....... Plus the Hframe is a lot less then 5cu' volume...better WAF.....choose your battles......

Corners? What corners?

Just moved my speakers into free space as shown on the awful drawing in my last post.

:eek: Cue mega wide & deep soundstage and the 'thick richness' has been replaced by clean clear sound. Corner loading and proximity to rear wall was having a HUGE influence!

My 12LTA's are in 3.5cft of non stuffed sealed cabinet. They are basslite without the subs but curiously its more noticeable with synth bass and not real instruments.

Me thinks I might like these new cabs

Can't u find a way to hide maybe one of those 15 inch betas in that nook where the tv was? Too bad 3.5 is somewhat bass lite. I remember the bass doesn't sim well until around 4cf to 5cf.

Sorry my rambling posts seem to have caused confusion.

The nook (bay window) where the TV was is now directly behind the listening position.

Speakers are unchanged at the moment - current cabinet for the 12LTA is 3.5cft and seems basslite but that is compared to in the corner with the subs running:D

New cabs will be 5cft vent at the bottom and look like this (hopefully) - all approved by management :captain:

Attachments

• TN-RA-BOX.jpg
    TN-RA-BOX.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
I can't remember; how much have you guys played with stuffing these cabinets? maximum stuffing would make a 3.5 cu.ft. act like a 5 cu.ft. cabinet in the bass, but I have no idea what so much stuffing would do to the sound of the driver. I think people claim that overstuffing an audio nirvana cabinet steals something of the sound, but I can't comment personally. In any case, it might be something worth testing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.