new fullrange by TB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, that (those) are certainly different. Always good to see a new unit appear. Not sure about the glizy gold phase plugs / guides from an aesthetic POV, but to each their own. Good point about the deep profile; probably dispersion isn't ideal when combined with what appears to be a relatively large rolled surround although probably not a problem on-axis.

All in all, rather interesting. I'll certainly be watching developments.

Curious about prices on these new TBs... this is why competition is a good thing. Fostex vs TB anyone? I would love to compare the venerable Fostex 168s to the new TB 6.5". Certainly the TB 1808 is a great driver imo anyway. I listened to it for a couple hours the other day before my power went out... and remains out probably for a few more days.

I bet these will sound very good.

Godzilla

for Karlson - 3mm xmax is more than what might be needed in a little coupler to play moset levels - I've never like 15" with higher mass cone but a 102g mms 18" with 6mm xmax and qts ~0.25 was an ok compromise - still too much mass but it could make a lotta racket. For less delicate work I would like a top spl of ~120dB peak 1M with separate woofer and K-tube waveguide. Transylvania Power Company "The Tube" was nice - I've 3 so far
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
yep ugly, that phase plug is terrible!

At any rate, they're not sensitive enough for my 2A3 needs. I do like the UH Neo magnet and the 3" drivers flat manuf measured fq resp x the BW. Maybe for a small office room second system/the old Scott 222c if it turns out to be very good~.

Everything on this driver looks very high tech and cool, except the phase plug. :)
The cast basket, extra large underhung neodymium motor are great.

:D More impressive is the frequency response of this little baby: http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w3-1878.htm

Almost to good to be truth. Maybe I didn't look good enough, but I've never seen a 3" full-range driver with this smooth high frequency response. I can't wait to try a pair.

With kind regards,
Bas

Maybe I just have an very odd taste, but personally I find this new driver look high-tech and cool

Taste being what it is, to each their own. That's largely why I don't like the looks of the thing though: it's trying too hard.

Almost to good to be truth.

Well, you know what the answer to that one is don't you? When something looks too good to be true, it is. ;) Quite likely a good driver in many ways, but I would be taking that graph with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.