New forums!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi all,

Well I bit the bullet and diyAudio is now the proud owner of vBulletin version 2.

The main reason that I wanted to upgrade was to make it easier for you guys to be able to upload images (circuit diagrams, pictures of your pride and joy's, etc), and also to get avatars (little pictures to go by your name) which add a bit of personality to the place.

There are no doubt going to be some problems pop up, so please let me know what you think!

Jason

Could I please suggest that the 'plenty of Pass Labs fanatics in here' be removed from the Solid State forum description now that there is a dedicated Pass Labs forum.

Also, would it be possible to remove the new 'Buddy' button on the bottom of each message and to re-instate the 'email' button. I appreciate that members can be emailed from their profile page, but I found the 'email' button most useful.

Geoff

i agree

I second the motion for the recommendations below.

Geoff said:
Jason

Could I please suggest that the 'plenty of Pass Labs fanatics in here' be removed from the Solid State forum description now that there is a dedicated Pass Labs forum.

Also, would it be possible to remove the new 'Buddy' button on the bottom of each message and to re-instate the 'email' button. I appreciate that members can be emailed from their profile page, but I found the 'email' button most useful.

Geoff

Disabled Account
Joined 2001
Greetings Jason

I third the motion above about removing the buddy button and re-instating the email button. Rate this thread should be dropped. I don't know what others think but to me this is the best forum on the web. A bunch of like minded people gather in a friendly atmosphere to offer their DIY experiences and their skills and newcomers can ask questions and hopefully advance their learning. Sure, in a professional environment where critics and reviewers and journalists offer articles for payment its a different story you can rate them but I do not think it applicable here. No one gets paid for this, they do it because they want to.

Jason,
Actually, before removing it...just what is a "buddy?" Who knows, it might be useful. If, perchance, it's worthwhile, I imagine that the e-mail button could be added without having to remove the Buddy button to make room.
Separately, and possibly related to the head count of who's online, I'm having to logon every time I come to the site.
The thread rating part could be useful in the sense of (like Amazon movie/music review ratings) "did you find this thread helpful or interesting?" It might help separate the wheat from the chaff.
Also, I know it's a pain in the rump, but you might consider creating a Car thread, as I have somewhere near zero interest in automotive audio, yet those who are interested are, in many cases, going to be interested almost exclusively in car audio.

Grey

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
cp642: Working on the online members list thing, I'll need to hack some code together.

Geoff: Pass reference removed (thank you!). Email button added. Buddy list removed.

The buddy list is related to private messaging, which I don't think is that suited to this forum. For now at least, I'll let everyone get used to the new layout before throwing swags of new features your way to confuse you all :)

hakalugi: Noted!

remp: Removed rate this thread. I agree that it isn't suited so much to our forum.

GRollins: Points noted. How many car posts do you think there are at the moment? I agree that car-heads are probably going to be very into their niche.

As for the login problems people are reporting, that's something I'll need to work on. For now, try the trick Geoff kindly suggested of removing your cookies.

I've also added some default avatars if you feel so inclined - they tend to be a bit 'cutesy' which again isn't so suited to this forum - if I get a chance I will knock up some DIY related avatars :) Their uptake is probably going to be more a matter of personal taste or motivation to knock one's own personalized avatar.

Thanks everyone, please keep the feedback coming. I really hate upgrades that aren't.

Speaking of upgrades that aren't...
The unmentionable cretins in Desktop Support have 'improved' my PC here at work by putting Windows 2000 on it. There's no windows\cookies directory. And, since the poor thing was fresh today (surprise!), there wouldn't have been any cookies from previous logins anyway.
I'll try the cookies trick on my PC at home later tonight.
At a guess, I'd say there are twenty, perhaps thirty car threads, including the power supply issues and subs. It's only going to get worse...er...better...yeah, that's what I meant to say.

Grey

EDIT:
Ha! Problem solved. Under my profile/edit options the remember the cookies radio buttons had defaulted to off. I've 'changed stations' and things seem to be better now.
Now to check the rest of my profile.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.