• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

New FIFO buffer for RPI/SBCs

Joined 2003
Paid Member
& @matthiasw, I should add that the 3 added caps are added to the +-V rails for the output stages, which means they are used for both output stages. Of course, as I said above, 2 of the caps are on the Microprocessor board (where much of the +-V supplies for the output stages reside), 1 will be on each output stage board.

So for the current setup where 2 output stage boards are shipped, 4 added caps total.

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
Isn't a DAC for listening? Why can a top sound Dac being disappointing? Could have more to do with you?

I'm inclined to agree with @matthiasw. True, sound is important to us, but a DAC costing $250 should look like a professionally made product not a diy-one.
I trust that Allo will update the picture on the Katana webpage when the DAC becomes available again, otherwise I think some new buyers will be 'disappointed'. Hopefully they will make a new version with a redesigned board.

?..In the end, if you don't like the cap mounting, don't buy the dac.

Randy
Absolutely! But I believe that if I tell Allo that is the reason I am opting out, they at least have the info: "ok, so aesthetics are important to some buyers".

They could do with that knowledge what they want: redesign v3, take it in mind for future products, or simply say "we are not building for those fellows".

What would be a shame is if we simply didn't give the feedback and Allo is left wondering "why did less people bought this product vs the other? Price? Functionality? Finish?".

So yeah, some of us won't be buying because of that. And we have been saying so here so Allo can have that info.

On a side note, since it is not often things like this happen, some of us first asked in disbelief if that was the finished product before stating we won't be buying because of that.

So I think it's the worst case scenario to just walk away saying nothing. At least now Allo has additional info with which to proceed in the future.

Rafa.

Curious... what power supplies and configuration did you use?

Greg in Mississippi

Hi guys.

It may seem strange, but for the preliminary tests I used the Allo SMPS 5Vx3Amp power supply, to power the Katana stack and the SMPS power supply for the Raspberry 5Vx2Amp. Test audition was using an isolator. Note that this is a preliminary first look. I am currently developing a low-noise linear power supply for everything that.

Absolutely! But I believe that if I tell Allo that is the reason I am opting out, they at least have the info: "ok, so aesthetics are important to some buyers".

They could do with that knowledge what they want: redesign v3, take it in mind for future products, or simply say "we are not building for those fellows".

What would be a shame is if we simply didn't give the feedback and Allo is left wondering "why did less people bought this product vs the other? Price? Functionality? Finish?".

So yeah, some of us won't be buying because of that. And we have been saying so here so Allo can have that info.

On a side note, since it is not often things like this happen, some of us first asked in disbelief if that was the finished product before stating we won't be buying because of that.

So I think it's the worst case scenario to just walk away saying nothing. At least now Allo has additional info with which to proceed in the future.

Rafa.

We will redesign in the future , no doubt about it , but still the big cap will look..big

Hi guys.

It may seem strange, but for the preliminary tests I used the Allo SMPS 5Vx3Amp power supply, to power the Katana stack and the SMPS power supply for the Raspberry 5Vx2Amp. Test audition was using an isolator. Note that this is a preliminary first look. I am currently developing a low-noise linear power supply for everything that.

A lot of our sounds quality testing was using 2 smps , one for dirty side and one for Katana,

Rafa.

Hi Rafa , we understand and appreciate the feedback.

Trying this again...

With isoaltor.

Attachments

• DSC_1871.JPG
    DSC_1871.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_1873.JPG
    DSC_1873.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 350
Personally, the big cap does not bother me aesthetically speaking. I do have some trouble accepting the case but I guess Allo did what they could working with the restrains from what they had already manufactured and acquired.
To solve all this I plan to make a diy case.

I am sure the next batch of costumers will get a better design and a better final product overall but I am also satisfied with what I got for what I paid. Allo were generous with the gifts and in the end I find it is a significant upgrade in sound in most aspects when compared to the Boss DAC I was using previously.

One thing I expected (it having a Class A stage) but that still impresses me, is how hot this thing gets. Specifically the micro controller (top) board! I really hope it was designed to survive those temperatures... That is my only worry right now.

Last edited: