New England Audio Get Together

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Lets use this forum to talk about it.
Okay.
We have a few people interested so far and it looks like it will happen but looks like 2 more people could show if we do it next weekend.
So lets try MAR 14th.

Lets discuss whether it should be then or this Saturday/tomorrow or both why not?
We can discuss food, music, sources, amps, speakers to bring. We can discuss my house/music room as well as times.
If next weekend then we can do this at my place or we can rent a conference room at a hotel if we want a large room.
Food at a hotel might get pricey. Food at my place could be lobster or Pizza, beer or wine. Whatever, lobster is good and cheap :)
Uriah

The living room is about 17x12x8. Wood floors. Basement is 30x15x6.5'. Yeah I have hit my head on the support beams. Basement has a wicked corner in it that gets boomy. Still sounds nice but maybe we can move it all upstairs.

Course we can get a conference room. Probably 20-40 bucks each but its been a long time since I rented one.

I have a MyRefC, B1, Lightspeed attenuator, Fonken MKII with FE127E, Audio Nirvana 12' BR cabs. All of which were incredible improvements but are at the moment the max of my gear. Oh, an ADC sound shaper and DEQ2496 which is going back to the seller soon.

Looking forward to discussion. Hoping to hear some great preamps, some Pass amps, maybe horns? would be cool. A good thing to bring would be a great CDP or turntable and phono pre. My CDP is worth at least $45 :)
Uriah

Joined 2006
Paid Member
U - I have a modded Dennon 2900, has transformer outputs, 2.3v RMS out. Might be a decent, if not fussy source. It's getting a little long in the tooth, having replaced the tray earlier this year, and laser.

Can't promise I can make it...

Have functioning F4 and F2 as well.
Will try to cobble together my F5 parts into a working chassis.
If not, I can clip lead it's guts into something no problem.

Well, just got off the phone with the wife. If we get together tomorrow, and we should, I'll take care of Dad's PC and then be free for the day. So I am good for tomorrow.
I will bring my Millet Hybrid, my PV7, it has a great phono stage with some vintage telefunkens in it and my CAL Delta transport and Alpha DAC. I will also bring my iRiver, any specific tune requests? I will bring some of my more favorite live stuffs.
I'll bring some beers too, I love IPA, any requests
Whadya think.

Sounds great BillyK :)
IPA is my favorite unless its a great Hefeizen or however its spelled. Snake River brewery has the best I ever tasted.
Tunes - no requests, I like to hear what others are into. I am into Bruce Springsteen right now and Natalie Merchant. But if you are into Big Band or whatever bring it over.
Larry if you are into coming over tomorrow then lets do it then and we can set something up for the next weekend that is a bit more serious, specially in light of the possible Nelson Pass gear! :)
Tomorrow anytime is fine for me. What works for you two? Sounds like a fun day.

TeaBag and Booangler we can still work out something a bit more involved for next weekend and this weekend will just be a warm up to next weekends Freezing Amp fest. Maybe Larry and BillyK can help me figure out the best setup for the room this weekend.

Long drive but I might

Ri,

Where in Ri am I going if I come, and I am seriously considering it. if I get my **** together I can bring my 6t9 tube amp and an Aikido tube pre. Would reguire some late night soldering sessions but I would be game. If i had some more time I'd have more but that would be it for now.

I love IPA and Lobster;) Seriously, do have thing for IPA's, have any of you tried Southern Tier IPA? If I come I'll bring some. Also, like good Single Malts:eek: .

Get me some details.

alan

Alan
Shot you an email with my addy.
If anyone else is interested in coming feel free. If you need to figure the distance my Zip code is 02896. Just go to google maps and figure it using "your zip to 02896" and it will give you a good estimate.
Not posting my address on here but if you are coming just shoot me an email and I will respond with my address.
Uriah

Road Trip

Uriah,

That doesn't seem to bad. I have only one class on Friday so getting there is easy. Drive home might be more challenging. Is this going to be a one day or two day event? Do you think we will have a TT for a source? If so, I have some vinyl that I will bring.

I was also thinking I could maybe, just maybe, be able to mod my Playstation before the weekend and bring that as a CD source.

Keep the info coming.

Alan

Guys and gals,
It went great and we had a ball. I posted this over in DIYaudioProjects and figured I would drop it over here to. I am trying to get another one together for next weekend. Some big amps could be involved and I have heard partial interest from MJK. Thrilled! I need to look into conference rooms and will begin that tomorrow.

Here is my other post

Tell you what MJK if you will commit to coming I will get a conference room in Mid Mass. Hell maybe North Mass. I would love to hear some of your speakers.
The night was absolutely wonderful. Bill brought some California Sound stuff. Frankly he is so digital it is a bit foreign to me but it was a definite improvement on my gear. The Lightspeed got some good attention and I thought it held its own very well. We switched to a Conrad Johnson hybrid preamp that was very nice but my amp was a bit on the high gain side for it. Still sounded good. I had the MyRef running on the Audio Nirvana's. Bill is digital as I said and his ripping of discs to lossless has been done very well. He has a lot of live recordings that do NOT sound amateur so some Grateful Dead sounded, well, Great.
Bill and I were patting ourselves on the back for how well our systems were integrating and each of our systems strengths were being shown off. Larry was just sitting back, eyes closed, listening and waiting to drop the hand grenade on our delusions of grandeur. He unpacked two Wavelength 300B monoblock Class A amps and absolutely wiped the floor with our previous setup. We still used the California Audio/Sound ? transport and DAC into a tube pre into the mono blocks and I have to say that the Audio Nirvanas have NEVER sounded like that. It was jawdropping over and over again. Blew my mind. I have been saving money for new speakers. Thats not the weak link and these amps proved it for me. I love the ANs and I am really happy with them, especially now. Now I know that its a great amp I need and also that I would do well to upgrade my source. He was using Kimber Kables to the speakers and some PBJ between the source and pre and amp. I dont know what difference the Kimber or PBJ made but man I am in love with the Wavelength amps. A very special 8 watts.
3 guys had a great time. Pizza and beer was good to. New pizza place for me. Great cheese :)
I really hope to get Alan, MJK, and TeaBag to make the trip. Bill will be there for sure and we are hoping to get Larry to come back. I will have to experiment to see if I can get the ANs in the car. Tough fit.
OH and I have new respect for my Fonkens. I owe Dave Dlugos an apology for all the grief I have given my Fonkens. It was certainly amp dependent and I just need something better.
I am going to post this over on DIY and hopefully the mention of MJK will get some others interested. :)
Good night and Good night
Uriah

Joined 2006
Paid Member
udailey said:
Guys and gals,
It went great and we had a ball. I posted this over in DIYaudioProjects and figured I would drop it over here to.

He was using Kimber Kables to the speakers and some PBJ between the source and pre and amp.

Uriah

PBJ = Peanut Butter & Jelly = :yummy:

My brother lives in the Heartford - Springfield MA area so I'll let him know about this get together.

Good going guys - these meets can be hard to get going and to pull off. I tried to get some interest in the Nashville area and it went over about as well as passing gas in an elevator. :yikes:

Okay, anybody watching this thread and wondering if they should come..... Martin J King just said if I can get it north of Boston and near the turnpike he will absolutely come. I am going to make that happen. He is bringing his speakers, and we all know the DIYaudio fame of his speakers. Do you want to hear something fantastic on DIY speakers? Be there!
Uriah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.