New cartridge for a Systemdek IIX turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've picked up a secondhand S-IIX, but need some suggestions for good cartridges. I've heard good things about Denon's DL103 and DL110 cartridges and likewise Goldring's 1012GX. I like a detailed and open sound and currently play through a Marantz 6010 KI-Singature amp and Mission 733i floorstanders.

All suggestions gratefully received! :)

Hi,

I remember a few years back when I had a Systemdek/Moth RB250 arm and Goldring 1012. I don't think it was a GX model in those days, but the sound was hugely enjoyable. I am not sure what you're current set up is, but I was upgrading from a Dual CS505/2 Deluxe at the time.

Also Grado Prestige Gold MM is a solid cartridge although this retails for around £120.00.

What is your budget?

Cheers.

Brownlow

Thanks for the replies folks - okay, a few more details which I ought to have posted previously....due to the recent arrival of twins, the budget will be lucky to see the far side of £100, maybe £120 at a big stretch, so Sumiko's Blue Point and the like probably won't be happening!

Goldring 1012GX I know of (owned one on an old Thorens deck about 15 years ago) but heard the Denon's were good value at the price. The new Ortofon's and Goldring's get good write ups too, but I do like the upgradeability of the Goldrings (1002 to '12 to '42). Grado's I know nothing of beyond the well respected name.

Man, this is difficult! :xeye: :bawling: :D

the ortofon 2m Blue (mm) that i just bought a couple of days ago has a beautiful open and detailed sound. compared to the grado blue and nagaoka mp11 that i had been rolling, the 2m is brighter, faster, much much more detailed and a hell of a lot prettier. the mids and highs are as good as i have ever heard on my setup, and make me want to upgrade my speakers.
please note that i am not an expert on the subject, and that my choice was based on a long conversation with a salesman based on my own listening preferences.
Jon.

the_record_spot said:
Thanks for the replies folks - okay, a few more details which I ought to have posted previously....due to the recent arrival of twins, the budget will be lucky to see the far side of £100, maybe £120 at a big stretch, so Sumiko's Blue Point and the like probably won't be happening!

Goldring 1012GX I know of (owned one on an old Thorens deck about 15 years ago) but heard the Denon's were good value at the price. The new Ortofon's and Goldring's get good write ups too, but I do like the upgradeability of the Goldrings (1002 to '12 to '42). Grado's I know nothing of beyond the well respected name.

Man, this is difficult! :xeye: :bawling: :D

if you are in london at the moment i would recommend going into Walrus Audio on New Quebec St for a chat with the guys there, they are friendly and have good advice, even with our (comparatively) meager budgets. plus there is loads of eye candy to gawk at, its an analogue lover's paradise.
New Quebec St is not far from Marble Arch Station, about 3 mins walk.

I've heard good things about
Denon's DL103 and Goldring's 1012GX.
I like a detailed and open sound and currently play through a Marantz 6010 KI-Singature amp

One of these cartridges is moving magnet and one is moving coil. I have no idea what the phono stage on the 6010 is like but I would assume if it has one at all it would be moving magnet.
If you have a moving coil stage then I can highly recommend the DL103. I have 2 pink triangle turntables, one with a 1042GX and the other with a DL103 and the Denon absolutely trounces all over the Goldring in all aspects. It's available in the UK for £100 including fitting, which is a total bargain.
There is a reason it's been manufactured for the last 40+ years!

HTH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.