New Campbell/Holtz Travelers build

Joined 2014
Paid Member
For something that you can buy off the shelf for $1000 or less, if you want the 100 watts, the Schiit Vidar 2 would be a neat amp. A modi + and a passive preamp. I haven't heard the newest vidar personally but Schiit tends to voice their equipment on the smoother side. Still clear but they tend to pay attention to the distortion characteristics.

For AVR's, the only experience that I have had is Onkyo, Denon and Marantz. Marantz and Denon sounded nice to me. The older Onkyo's while not the clearest, can sound nice. Newer Onkyo's tend to sound a little cold

What amps are decent and affordable amps that you suggest? I’m new to this and have always been in to speakers but nothing on this level. I’ll send pics of the finished speaker. I upgraded the capacitors and resistors and using Baltic birch for the build. Really like your buildings and can’t wait to hear it. What do you suggest for speaker damping? I got some 1 inch pyramid foam and was thinking of using some insulation or acousti fil.

FWIW, I've had amps for the last 30 years and little personal experience with receivers. That said, of the ones I've listened to, Marantz has been my favorite without spending big money. I'd suggest at least 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms. More power is better.

Jim
What amps are decent that won’t break the bank? I’m honestly really new to this but liked your designs and always been in to high end speakers but never built anything. Finally got my Baltic birch and pvc and will start the build this weekend. We always had b&w speakers growing with a denon receivers that my parents listened to but finally getting my own setup and like the 3 way design.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Having had and installed sound systems with receivers, I am a fan of 2-channel amps. Too many compromises to get all of the features receivers have in a small AVR case. if you plan to use the features, then they are worth it. Manufacturers just have to budget more to make it all work.

Are you using it for music, HT both? What is your priority?

I have heard ice power a couple of times. No flavor (may be your thing), fairly detailed, kind of dry sounding. Good for TV and home theater and dialog stuff. I haven't heard them with my speakers though so I can't comment on if the open back soundstage trick make it work regardless.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Then I would look for a 2 channel amp, a cheap DAC and a innexpensive pre to start. I think the Schiit stuff is pretty nice. Well regarded. Mike Moffet used to be an engineer at Theta. Emotive makes good amps too. People either love them or hate them so read up on them first.

BTW, I have used my speakers with
5w ACA mini
15w Aleph Mini
25w firstwatt F6,
50w Mac
70w Pass XA25 clone
80w Threshold class A
150w ATI 1502
250w Threshold A/B
1000 watt crest and other pro audio amps

There are others but these are off of the top of my head. The most powerfull sounding amplifier that I have heard through my system is the 70 watt amplifier. Great circuit topology and a stout power supply make all of the difference.

Hi Keith,

Your Travelers are beautiful! OK, I'm going to join the crowd with a "garage speakers"???? Really??? They are living room/listening room quality sound wise and your finishing skills are superb so looks wise they could fit anywhere! Beautiful job!

Now that I got that out of the way, the Travelers were not designed with an option to plug the mid tunnel. Basically, the Finalists plugged were just like other conventional speakers sound stage wise and included for temporary use closed back for difficult WAF situations.

Curt designed all of our collaborations to be positioned without any toe in for me with the optimum listening position 15-20 degrees off axis. Ear level should be between the tweeter/mid for best imaging.

The Travelers will benefit from listening room positioning in a normal sized room with 100+ real watts. You might consider giving them a listen in the house with more power and try my positioning suggestions. I think you'll be surprised at what they can actually sound like. :)

Beautiful build and we appreciate your feedback!

Enjoy the music!

Jim
A9F426A2-0D33-4DE9-A5FB-9995128E9FDF.jpeg

Have to finish setting everything up completely but best sounding speaker I have ever had and my first build turned out well but some changes I’d make on the next with small mistakes on the wood.

Reactions: 2 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I would be using it mostly for music.

Where you live, try also a good little second hand Hafler (100 to 200bucks), they are cheap and sound great, keep the difference for a more musical dac. At least it is what I will do in your shoes (choose) for 1000 usd ! Of course the above list is good too, but more expensive. I would avoid the first one though because a little short for a passive 3 ways imho...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Try it! I think you would be surprised. The ACA Mini is less than $150 and a few hours of soldering. I forgot I have a Haffler DH200 that I rebuilt floating around too. I would much rather listen to that ACA mini. The mini is much more detailed and probably about as authoritative sounding.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Keep the Hafler ;)
All what I have read about the ACA is an anemic sound, but a study design to learn I see not really an interest, you can have better for the same price or good second hand. For high efficienty in a multiway design for something cheap and very good for mid and tweeter I would pick up the Nemesis inspired from Hiraga former design.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This is not the ACA but the ACA Mini. A newer amp. The original ACA was meant to be a learning tool with something to listen to at the end. Single-ended with sound not being the biggest priority.

The ACA Mini is meant for the more experienced listener while also being simple to build. I believe it is a blend of I believe the F5 and the F7 Push Pull design with harris parts and matched toshiba complemetary pairs for the input. It isn't going to blow your doors off, but it does really surprise you as to what 5 watts can do.

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I have a question please about the OW2 tweeter? Why not the SBACOUSTICS SB26/CDC with the same material than the mid on the Travellers?

I am wondering also about the older Finalist which of these two tweeters above would work with the 2400 hz acoustical XO with the Vifa W149W this time !

What a pity Dayton must gave up the RS28F and RS28A tweeters :(

I had traded for a new pair of OW2's and they seemed a logical choice since I already owned them. That said, the ceramic tweeter you linked to is extremely nice but would require a crossover redesign.

Another nail in the Finalist coffin is that the NE149-04 drivers are also NLA. Tymphany raised the minimum order high enough that no retailers in the US have them.

The Anthology II design Curt and I introduced recently is a great choice if you want a floor stander. The design is available as a kit through Meniscus.

HTH...

Jim

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thank you Mr Holtz for the feedback.

I had the luck t source 4 x NE149W - 8 ohms I plan to MTM. I wanteed initially to make your NE128W MTM Statement salon loudspeaker but I didn't sucess to source those Peereless. So I make my own design with a 12" bass driver I sourced not too much expensive but good enough to cross around 300 hz with the NE149W both inspired by some third party measurements and the Finalist 3 way I should have chosen if living in USA. (but the excellent nla Dayton RS28F that is missed)

So a little lost in the sounding choice of a tweeter with the NE149W.

Two choice of cut-offs as I want to avoid as far possible LCRs on the units : 1500 hz, so few tweeters choices, all horned : Wavecor TW30A12 or Morel cat 378.

Around 2500 hz (buy harder to tame the little 800hz-1200 hz bump of the NE149W in the magnitude shape) like in the Finalists ... and here I am more lost in the choice of an non to expensive tweeter, be it a strong enough 3/4 like the OW2 or the 1" SB26 CDC (eventually with a WG) ? Of course here the Morel or Wavcore could be ok two while 2500 hz open the choice of many tweeters ! 2000 hz woud bee ideal for a 5" MTM t avoid low distance honney combs, but not stressed about that as I listen more in the mid fields (3 to 3.5 meters)

Of course a lot of choice on the market, but I really dunno which will profit to serve the excellent tones of the NE149W and in the meantime staying musical as these woofer/midranges deserve ?

Last edited: