new box for my sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!!!! some years ago i bougth a RCF 18" speaker. (i dont have here the code). I made a bass-refflex box of
75x55x45cm

with 2x12cm "air outputs" and the "tune" tubes.

Looking around in this forum I found that my box is really simply compared with others, for example this one:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I look these designs and then I think: my sub box is just like.... a BOX!

what can I do to improve my sub box? is it worth to modify my box?

thanks

and sorry about my english :cannotbe:

this is my sub:

RCF l 18P540

Nominal Basket Diameter 18"
Impedance 8 ohms
RMS Power Rating 350 Watts
Program Power 700 Watts
Peak Power 1500 Watts
Frequency Response 30Hz - 2.0kHz
Sensitivity (1W/1m) 99.5dB
Voice Coil Diameter 3" / 76mm
Max. Crossover Frequency 1.0kHz
Voice Coil Material Copper
Diaphragm Material Kevlar Paper Pulp
Surround Material Cloth

Resonant Frequency (fs) 34 Hz
Impedance (Re) 5.5 ohms
Coil Inductance (Le) 1.23mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 8.0
Total Q (Qts) .34
Compliance Equivalent Vol. (Vas) 228 Liters/8.05cu. ft.
Voice Coil Overhang (Xmax) 4.5mm
Reference Efficiency 3.34%

RCF-L18-P300-size250.gif

do you think that it's an audiophyle SUB?

Most of the fancy stuff in that pic is just bracing to keep the walls from flexing and resonating. Solid pieces of wood with holes cut is an easy way to make a very solid brace. Whether it's worth ripping your box apart to add them at this point is hard to say, I guess it depends in large part on whether you can get the thing open without ruining it.

Do you have a reason to change the box? If you like the sound the way it is, why change? If you think that the walls are flexing/vibrating to much, bracing would be an option.

Second option is to make the walls thicker, either from the outside or within the cabinet, whatever suites you best.

Since you use an 18" it shouldn't be that hard to add some bracings. Bracing comes in all shapes and sizes these days and a search would probably give you more than enough examples to see what would be the best choice for you.

You can make it as hard or easy as you want.

About you box btw. You said you have tuning tubes (vents) and airvents? Do you know how to tune a box according to the T/S-parameters? Not to ditch you but if not there possible some more upgrades that can be made.

Wkr Johan

Agree with Rademakers. But adding bracing panels inside to a built box is pretty hard as you cannot get the panel in if you make it the same width as the inside of the box.

Also, that speaker is not really a sub, it's a PA bass speaker. RCF are really nice units and it will work as a sub, but a proper modern sub will probably equal if not beat it below 40Hz and in a smaller box too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.