New Async XMOS 384K/32bit with PCM5102 DAC on ebay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So has anyone removed the bypass film caps on the oscons?
I recall that the sound was horrible when I had that situation on my first oscon swap on another dac.

This board looks to be a bargain, still being sold after several years, however, there are boards with pcm27XX chips still for sale too...

Any updates from users?
How is the bass response from the pcm5102 dac? I had a bluetooth Arcam product that always had weak bass, used the same chip.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member

Attachments

• xmos-u8-bb-pcm5102a-DAC.jpg
    xmos-u8-bb-pcm5102a-DAC.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 678
Hi all, i ordered one of theese boards from ebay, the red one with 3 small XCO-s. It worked fine from usb, but when i connected external power (5V from a 7805) the main regulator near the dc jack blew up, and there is a short between 3,3v and gnd, i traced it down, it is the U4 chip wich feeds through an inductor to the xmos chip, and connected to U5 chip. I cant figure out the part number of the chip there is DX JRUW written on it, i did not found it in smd catalogs, and google neither. Can someone help me out?

Hi,

Just received the Douk Audio version of this and attach images of the board.
Top:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

and bottom:
Editing images for smaller size

I'd like to use this to see what can be done to improve sound quality, without spending more than about the same as the board cost to start with, but am thinking of:

1. Adding an ultra low noise regulator to the main input and feeding it off a 9V linear PSU.

2. Swapping the electrolytics for better quality components (maybe with higher capacity for the power rails.

3. Replacing the very simple 3.3 V regulators with lower noise versions on boards.

4. If budget allows, replacing the clocks with TXCO's

5. Other tweaks discussed in this thread.

Regarding point 5, it would be good to get some more guidance here. some of the posts that describe the tweaks aren't easy to follow for those (like me) who are unsure of what they're doing.

Last edited:
Schematic

Did anyone manage to track down a schematic of these boards?

there are so many variants available on ebay, aliexpress, etc that it is hard to imagine that a base kit isn't being sold somewhere with schematics and that the different vendors are just soldering on different discrete components. I'd really like to know how to go about improving the regulators and beefing up the caps where appropriate.

Some of the regulators and components around I can't even read, and I don't know enough about electronics to attack the job blind.

Component identification

Hi again,

Just wondering if anyone can help me by identifying the following components:

U12/U5: both are marked "DE - 233", which fails to throw up anything useful in Google.

U11: The small 6 pin chip just by the XMOS. Any marking on this is far too faint and small to read. I tried to guess what it might be from looking at the XMOS datasheet, but failed.

I have removed the power selector switch and am fitting an ultra low noise voltage regulator to feed the 5V bus. Does anyone think there would be any advantage in replacing the 3.3V AMS1117 regulator, next to C53?

Maximum sample rate

One thing I notice for many devices (including this), which are marketed as 384k / 32b capable is that the actual processing chip (in this case the TI DSD1796) maxes out at 192k /24b. Can anyone explain how that works? Is the marketing bogus, with half the samples being discarded or is there more going on, to make use of the oversampling?

Hello,

Just a quick note to inform you that my Douk Audio 384K/32bit USB DAC the one with PCM5102A. Labelled on PCB "model CMD-8 V1.5.3" "32bit 384K DAC 2016/10/27" suffer from high distortion.

I just sent a 1kHz signal through the USB and checked with my beloved AP P1DD the SPDIF output which was perfect with 400-600ns jitter peak. But on line out I measured @0dBFs 0.55% THD. Well thanks China.

Before digging in the datasheet I removed the 1uF caps and open the headphone circuit.

Distortion is since normal.

Best regards,

Pierre

I've used computer sound cards for measurements for years and generally do not go above -10dBfs because of distortion problems.

PCM5102A is a cheap chip DAC, I have few designs and I never saw a distortion problem when driving a 5102A hard.

THD+N is usually of by few dB from the ideal, I'm guessing due to measurement equipment. Personally I run two functionals analyzers uncalibrated and both are always few dB off.

The high THD+N I mentioned is clearly due to an unhappy loading (or so) from the headphone amp (TDA1308).

PFB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.