Netflix, The Social Dilemma, is the most important documentary of our times

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2016
Paid Member
Only if you let it...
Their so called AI knows less about you than the marketing would have you believe.
The danger is the sheer time people spend on these things - the targeting is poor but it doesn't actually matter. A lot of advertising has always been more faith that science.

From what most people post on the internet they know: Your name, sex, age, what you look like, address, your pet, the music, movies, books, sports, cars, etc. you have, like or dislike. What you buy, sell or give away. They know who your family and friends are and who you like or dont like. Your politics, religion, race. Your work and pass times. Your passions and addictions. The people (as in celebrities) you respect and would take advice from. And stuff ive missed. But they dont know enough to influence you?

Last edited:
Ever the financial analyst, NFLX requires $1bn to get $1.2bn of eyeballs and subscriptions. The half life of their material isn't like "Gone With the Wind" or "It Happened One Night" or "Spaceballs". Eventually the piper will be paid, and your NFLX subscription is gonna cost a lot more.

I really like the service, but their economic model doesn't work.

On another note, your ride on Uber or Lyft is subsidized by private equity by 50% to 100%. Grab it while you can. The money eventually goes back to the rightful owner.

I think if you have not grown up with this tech, it doesnt have its hook into you in quite the same way...

I had an Alexa for a while. My entire record is "Alexa, play NPR". 20 minutes later "Alexa, stop". Next day [cut/paste]... Next day [cut/paste]... Then I changed my router for some reason and it was too much trouble to get Alexa functional again. Then I sold it on ebay for $35...

I bought an iPhone 6s - made sure to get the "s" part - maybe 2-3 years ago. I've never said "Siri -" one time. I think I've dictated a text maybe a handful of times - it feels so unnatural, I'd rather type it out. I've no friends because if someone texts me "Hey Joe - how's it going?" it might be two weeks before I figure out I even got the message. I've got all notifications turned off. Any app that says "this app would like to send you notifications" I automatically respond NO, as in "you're kidding me! Right?" I'll never service some app's automated "notification"...

So I probably actually make use of 1/100 of what the device can do. That maybe cuts down a bit on what they know about me. I do like that I can "log in" with my fingerprint and read my email without having to put in a password and then do the code from their two-step verification, as I would when using the PC. I 'spose the previous code expires by the time I get around to looking at my email again...on the nice big PC screen. I'll squint to not have to go through all that two-step mumbo jumbo -

Now someone conditioned to use and expect the level of interaction they want - from childhood - I can see is in a far different boat than me. When I was a kid, we had a dial telephone and an AM radio built into the wall that was an intercom - you could talk to - or monitor - other people in different places (bedroom/basement/front door) from the kitchen. We mostly just listened to the radio.

Last edited:
So I probably actually make use of 1/100 of what the device can do.
Yeah... There's so many apps for messaging and stuff, if people send me a message I will only react if it's email or sms (Or 4-6 months too late...). Not bothering with the other stuff unless it's a planned video call.
Most used functions on my phone?
Calculator, browser, camera, email, pdf reader, music player. The rest can go **********
We mostly just listened to the radio.
Oh, yeah that too, sometimes I stream radio.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
From what most people post on the internet they know: Your name, sex, age, what you look like, address, your pet, the music, movies, books, sports, cars, etc. you have, like or dislike. What you buy, sell or give away. They know who your family and friends are and who you like or dont like. Your politics, religion, race. Your work and pass times. Your passions and addictions. The people (as in celebrities) you respect and would take advice from. And stuff ive missed. But they dont know enough to influence you?

I watched it. A good documentary if a bit tech self indulgent in places.
Facebook knows nothing of value about me - I don't use it, no one in my family does. Google and Amazon know a small subset of the list above, but totally fail to make valid predictions from it. And some of what they think the know is false, as I often use incorrect info.
And, no nothing online influences me. I make my own decisions. I know when some org is trying to press buttons, and choose how to react to that.
That's true of most people I know.

The dangerous parts are where people are allowing themselves to be influenced. The guy referring to teenage suicide rates - that's real and is a problem.

Did they change the rules? That one was drilled into me. I was taught that it was imperative to always write correctly. The nuns would have beat me bloody with rulers if I didn't.

Reading stuff like this makes me feel even more hopelessly behind the times. It seems like everything I was taught is now... wrong.

But on the flip side, people that don't write and speak properly seem so ignorant to me. I've seen "twitterseak" on employment resumes, and it makes me recoil in disgust. But I guess it's... OK now; and I'm the one that's wrong, reading and speaking in my hopelessly archaic English.

:confused:

Did they change the rules? That one was drilled into me. I was taught that it was imperative to always write correctly. The nuns would have beat me bloody with rulers if I didn't.

Reading stuff like this makes me feel even more hopelessly behind the times. It seems like everything I was taught is now... wrong.

But on the flip side, people that don't write and speak properly seem so ignorant to me. I've seen "twitterseak" on employment resumes, and it makes me recoil in disgust. But I guess it's... OK now; and I'm the one that's wrong, reading and speaking in my hopelessly archaic English.

:confused:

We all learn something every day. Also, I agree that people who can't be bothered to use proper formatting / spelling / grammar / punctuation tend to look ignorant, even if they are not. I think it is safe to say that there's no harm in writing properly, even in cases where it may not matter.

It seems to not matter at all anymore. I see improper grammar, spelling, syntax, etc every single time I read the newspaper. And I mean every single time. I read NYT and WSJ almost exclusively. It makes me wonder if they can't be bothered to find a qualified editor.

I was talking to one of my clients the other day. He manages commercial properties on the North Shore of Chicago. We were discussing the current situation with the riots and of course he's concerned about how it affects his business. I started telling him about the riots in the 1960s and 70s, which happened basically right in my front yard. He started laughing; he said "the 70s?" like I was referring to the 1870s. It's just a meme to him but I was already in college goddamn it. He was born in the 1990s.

It's like nobody over 40 is real in the corporate world. They have no compunction about laughing in your face if you ask for a job but if they need your talent they call you in a heartbeat and offer you a short term contract. I cannot express on this forum just how much I scorn these imbeciles for their bigoted and myopic mindset. They deserve all the failure they get.

I remember about almost 20 years ago remarking to a coworker in the marketing dept that our company's most recent full page ad in the big trade magazine of our industry, which he had a print of on his cubicle wall, had an error, can't remember if it was "your" vs "you're" or something similar. Boy was that a harbinger!

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Your, you're. where, wear. their, they're, there. These are all words that I know the correct usage of, yet I find, that when typing, I often mess it up. Only when reviewing a post do I notice I have used the wrong one. I'm not sure why, as it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Tony.

I usually muddle up its and it's. :eek:

And I just usually get the spelling wrong (checks it...) on separate and independent.

IMO, the highlight of language was Tudor English. I still like the archaic Thee and Thou. They still use it in parts of England. And remnants of the three genders occasionally surface in words like Oxen.

Not many people know that Shakespeare got elected onto the editors of the KJ version of the Bible.

Whatever you make of that book, it has no spelling mistakes that I ever noticed.

One of the great linguistic mysteries is where the word "She" came from. It doesn't exist in Anglo-Saxon, but is commonplace now. "Her" in Anglo-Saxon refers to a man. Weird, huh?

Last edited:
If you have a King James at hand, go to Psalm 46. Count 46 words in, the word is "shake". Count 46 words in from the end, the word is "spear". Want to guess his age when he wrote his portion?

Although an adherent to the church of mackerel snappers, I have two KJV's. About fifteen years ago a great book on its "raison d'etre" was published: "God's Secretaries". I think that some of my pseudo-Irish ancestors were on the wrong side of religious conflict in Scotland/England and thereby wound up on the west coast of Eire.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.