Need suggestions for electric guitar electronics project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys I'm about to start a new project and am looking for some advice. I would like to build myself a two stage circuit that I can fit inside the body of my electric guitar. The first stage will be a distortion circuit, likely an op-amp or two and some diodes for clipping. The second stage will be a headphone amplifier so that I will be able to play the guitar without the need of a standalone amplifier.
I would like both circuits to have bypass functionality. My questions for the experienced are:

1. Best op-amps for this application, any audio op-amp do? noise, slew rate matter much for this frequency range/application?

2. Would 2 9V batteries provide enough juice for both circuits? Is it okay to power them both from the same power source?

3. I want this to work with a full sized pair of koss headphones. How do I know how much gain I will need from the amplifier to drive a pair of headphones? I don't know much about this. Do I need a power amp?

There are volume and tone pots currently in the guitar. I plan on just cutting the wire to the output and routing it into this circuitry first and then to the output. I have a Dremel to cut out some of the body of the guitar to fit these electronics inside. Any help appreciated. I'm sure I will have more questions if I get any responses. Thanks!

Hi,
Im fiddling round with an opamp bassed preamp myself, can't say I know what im doing though. LOL. My circuit generates a ton of noise and hum.

But as for the output just use a 3 pole switch to change between opamps and direct out.

Someone else correct me if im wrong but im fairly certain 2 9v would be enough just use bypass caps (or you might not even need them on battery power). Most opamps come in 2s or 4s anyway so you should be right.

Im starting a thread so hopefully someone can help me with the design of my preamp. If I can get it to work maybye it can help you with design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.