Need someone to mod my Tripath Amps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi -

I just got 2 Kinter amps with the original Tripath 2020 chips.

They keep cutting out higher volumes and the thin little speaker clip-ins are a pain to connect banana plugs.

I'm looking to have someone:

1. Remove the tone controls
2. Remove the volume control from the board
3. Replace the caps with better quality ones
4. Replace the speaker inputs with proper RCA ones.

Anyone do this type of work?

You can email me at mcody@reviewtree.com
Thanks!

Michael in CT

Hi -

I just got 2 Kinter amps with the original Tripath 2020 chips.

They keep cutting out higher volumes and the thin little speaker clip-ins are a pain to connect banana plugs.

I'm looking to have someone:

1. Remove the tone controls
2. Remove the volume control from the board
3. Replace the caps with better quality ones
4. Replace the speaker inputs with proper RCA ones.

Anyone do this type of work?

You can email me at mcody@reviewtree.com
Thanks!

Michael in CT

The only thing I find useful is "original Tripath 2020 chips". For the rest you seem to imply a complete rebuild.
What I can suggest you is to find an amplifier board with probably "fake"/non-original Tripath 2020 chips, remove the fake chips and replace them with your own original chips. It should be possible to do locally where you live.

Better idea new amp with equivalent harmonic profile and better, I think. Without old Tripath chips.

Lepai LP-2020A+ mini-review and measurements | FF's electronics

attachment.php

Attachments

• Lepai-LP-2020A-spectrum_5w_awtd.png
    Lepai-LP-2020A-spectrum_5w_awtd.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 500
Last edited:
Easy there... I've foolishly Bought 3 of those Lepais .
One was DOA, other lived 1 whole day, last one lived an entire month ! Before one channel died.
No real loss tho as ALL sounded really quite bad TBH.
A fools' errand .. Live 'n learn Kids
On that note I recently bought a 10$ ! tda 7377 2.1 (with tone controls) kit off Ebay.. for a desktop speaker replacement. I didn't expect it to be worth the 10 Bux..
Truth is it's actually surprisingly Good . MY guess is that the 7377 being an old outdated chip it was actually a Genuine /non fake part .. as to the why of decent sounds.
Wayyy better ! than a handful of crap sounding 3116/8 amp contraptions I've had (and fruitlessly modded).
There are a few low $ gems out there .
But frankly they are luck of the draw.. Rare.

Last edited:
Hi - Since all these types of amps are so cheap, I originally ordered the current Lepai TI amp, the Lepay 2020A, and Kinter 2020+.

The Lepai was close, but not as resolved. The Lepay was the worst. Much less output and broke up when turned up to try to match volume of the other amps.

The resolution of the Kinter is really good but the caps don't seem sufficient as it goes silent for a moment when it gets to higher energy parts of the music.

Based on that, I'd like to try and find someone in CT, MA, NY or similar area who can make some basic upgrades.

Hi - Since all these types of amps are so cheap, I originally ordered the current Lepai TI amp, the Lepay 2020A, and Kinter 2020+.

The Lepai was close, but not as resolved. The Lepay was the worst. Much less output and broke up when turned up to try to match volume of the other amps.

The resolution of the Kinter is really good but the caps don't seem sufficient as it goes silent for a moment when it gets to higher energy parts of the music.

Based on that, I'd like to try and find someone in CT, MA, NY or similar area who can make some basic upgrades.

You do realize you are working with amps that produce less than 10 watts per channel... right?

This means they will reach a maximum of "conversational" listening levels without clipping. Most living room listening happens at an average of about 1 or 2 watts. But with reasonable dynamics, peaks can easily reach 10 watts or more. With average sensitivity speakers, by the time you get the average music level to the point where you can talk over it in a slightly raised voice, those little amps are already clipping.

You really can't expect "HiFi Sound" from something like that. Basically they are the equivalent of bringing an old car radio inside and hooking it up.

Pouring money into something like that seems a bit silly.

There are other low cost options that will deliver far and away better fidelity. Instead of dumping a couple of hundred into these toy amps, you really should consider putting half a hundred into something like this Senucn Audio A502 Not only do these little guys get a whole lot louder than your Lepai amps, they will be far cleaner at those higher levels.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.