Need schematic for Soundstream MC245

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its hard to say because I was using a crappy HU at the time. Now that I upgraded to a top Alpine unit the amps sounds better than it ever had. The caps in my mind are a must simply because electrolytics dry out. Not sure I heard a difference with the op-amps but again, I had the wrong HU to judge. They're cheap and easy to replace.

phrarod said:
Its hard to say because I was using a crappy HU at the time. Now that I upgraded to a top Alpine unit the amps sounds better than it ever had. The caps in my mind are a must simply because electrolytics dry out. Not sure I heard a difference with the op-amps but again, I had the wrong HU to judge. They're cheap and easy to replace.

Takes for the reply.

Where can I buy the Op-amps, and which ones did you go with the 082's or the OP275's.

Once more thanks for all your input.

GI FED part or Fairchild FEP part number

"SoundStream used three different configuration dual diodes. The FEP, the FEN, and the FED.
The FEP is common cathode, the FEN is common anode, the FED is anode , cathode, cathode."

SoundStream MC-245 used FED16BT by General Semiconductor, Inc. now Vishay
I believe Fairchild had a rectifier series doubler FEP16BTD, FEP16CTD, and FEP16DTD. All with the same configuration and ratings other then Respective Peak Reverse Voltage.
-----------
FED16BT
High-Speed Center-Tapped Doubler
General Semiconductor, Inc.
V(RRM)(V) Rep.Pk.Rev. Voltage=100
I(RM) Max.(A) Reverse Current=10u @V(R) (V)(Test Condition)=100
I(RM) Max.(A) Pk. Rev. Current=500u @Temp. (°C) (Test Condition)=100
V(FM) Max.(V) Forward Voltage=950m @I(FM) (A) (Test Condition)=8.0
I(O) Max.(A) Output Current=16
t(rr) Max.(s) Rev.Rec. Time=35n @I(F) (A) (Test Condition)=0.5 @I(R) (A) (Test Condition)=1.0
Semiconductor Material=Silicon
Package=TO-220

16A Iout, 100V Vrrm High-Speed Center-Tapped Diode Doubler Operational temperature range from 0°C to 150°C.
-----------
Part Specification
FED16CT
High-Speed Center-Tapped Doubler
General Semiconductor, Inc.
V(RRM)(V) Rep.Pk.Rev. Voltage=150
I(RM) Max.(A) Reverse Current=10u @V(R) (V)(Test Condition)=150
I(RM) Max.(A) Pk. Rev. Current=500u @Temp. (°C) (Test Condition)=100
V(FM) Max.(V) Forward Voltage=950m @I(FM) (A) (Test Condition)=8.0
I(O) Max.(A) Output Current=16
t(rr) Max.(s) Rev.Rec. Time=35n @I(F) (A) (Test Condition)=0.5 @I(R) (A) (Test Condition)=1.0
Semiconductor Material=Silicon
Package=TO-220
--------
FEP16xxD
Symbol Parameter Value Units
16AT 16BT 16CT 16DT 16FT 16GT 16HT 16JT
VRRM Maximum Repetitive Reverse Voltage
50 100 150 200 300 400 500 600 V

Anything above FEP16DTD will not work due to Vf & Trr
Link : www_fairchildsemi_com/ds/FE/FEP16DTD.pdf

Check e-bay and look for a Northern California seller who has parts for Soundstream amps. He used to work for Soundstream and has all the parts. Don't remember his name right now but he's easy to find on eBay.

Jaime of JandR electronics but his store was closed last time I looked, But I might can reach him since he is somewhat local to me here in Nor-Cal. The parts your looking for can be hand just about anywhere online though. hate to bother him for 3 bucks.
The special things like switches and FEB boards and FED16 rectifiers are only available thru him that I know of....:)

Off topic - FED versus FEP

Jaime of JandR electronics but his store was closed last time I looked, But I might can reach him since he is somewhat local to me here in Nor-Cal. The parts your looking for can be hand just about anywhere online though. hate to bother him for 3 bucks.
The special things like switches and FEB boards and FED16 rectifiers are only available thru him that I know of....:)

I have spoken to J and R and the replacement parts are still available. The point above is that it the original GI parts used the prefix and the Fairchild parts use the postfix.
Example: GI part is FEx16BT - Fairchild part is FEP16BTx

On topic : I am working on schematics in Mentor PADS. I think this is a great amp for people wanting to learn amp design from the ground up, old school style. Would have used Eagle Layout, but board would not be same trace and parts would need to be entered by hand, Eagle libery is limited. Eagle is a great program, Kudos to CadSoft .

Hi guys, I'm on the hunt for some GI FED16BT 9416 for my repairer to fix one of my SS REF Class A 6.0 amps.

I've found FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR - FEP16BT - Diode - FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR|FEP16BT|Diode | Newark.com , but I'm not sure if it's compatible. Please help by confirming it's OK or directing me to some model numbers which will do the job.

The answer is probably in the above post but I'm not familar with the codes, I want to keep this amp going as it's in mint physical condition and would be a shame to scrap at this point.

FEP16DTD (or FEP16CTD or FEP16BTD) is likely what you need if they're using doublers (series connected diodes instead of common cathode or common anode).

Yes, FEP16BTD, FEP16CTD, and FEP16DTD are the correct parts to replace FED16BT. Some people think that just replacing the FED16BT's will fix the problem. Yes, you can test these and its easy to spot a bad one. Replace them all. If your the kind of person that just replaces the FED16BT and plugs power into the amp expecting it to work. Hopefully you did not just connect it straight to a car battery full power ;-) Most likely you will fry the FEP16BTD's again. If you replace the FED16BT and bring the amp online using a bench 40VDC/60A PS set it low 9-10VDC @ about 8-12A should work and tap the remote power on for just 2 sec. The LED's should light. If not check IC SG3524N on a test board it is the easiest way. If you do not know how to test on a board and they do not stay lit then tap-tap-tap-tap the Remote ON line about 3 or 4 times a second. This acts like the PWM IC SG3524N. You should be able to get the LED's lit and if you apply a low level 10-50mV signal get sound from the outputs. I like using an old home CD player that has a headphone jack in the front and volume knob set very low.
P.S. The above information is for people trying to repair an amp without the correct tools and most likely the correct knowledge to do the job. I personally do not recommend testing in this fashion but like to help people who want to try for themselves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.