Need Pre-Amp Out

I just picked up a Nakamichi TA-1A stereo tuner.

It does not have a pre-amp output but has a tape out I would like to use as a pre-amp out.

Need a wizard to indicate what I can do to change the tape out to a pre-amp out.

Can't imagine this is a tough task.

Many thanks in advance

Nakamichi TA-1A stereo tuner

To be clear, this item is a tuner amplifier (receiver).

1716819659230.png

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The only question is, does the tape out follow volume changes from the volume control.
There's a chance that the tape out is before the level control, and then you are out of luck.
Unless the poweramp has it's own level control, then you're OK.

I haven't looked at the schematic, but you normally pick off the pre-amp signal after the level control.
You can re-use the tape output connector, if you don't want to do tape recording anyway.

I see @Netlist has addressed this while I was typing.
But why not use the headphone output?
That can drive any poweramp and has the full level, balance and tone control.

Jan

Reactions: 1 user
It looks like the easiest way to get a preamp "like" output is to use the headphone jack, as Jan mentioned above. This is just an attenuated version of the speaker signals.
That's easy to try with external cables and later you could tap wires off the headphone jack internally and bring them to RCA jacks on the rear panel.
This unit doesn't really have separate pre-amp and power amp sections. They are combined into one circuit with the tone controls being part of the front end of the power amp, and that makes finding a good point to extract the complete signal difficult.

Attachments

• nakamichi_ta-1_ta-1a_ta-1e_sch.pdf
    769.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 user