Need new artists to listen to - Inputs needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Panicos K;
Right now I can only play CD's, so I go for these ;)

Others ;)
Yes! Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath are allready in my collection ;)
Cream I remember.... :scratch: Maybe worth some new listening ;)
Some of the other bands mentioned I can recall their names, but not their music..... :confused:

I can't recall if I have mentioned, that AC/DC of course are part of my collection :D

No one has mentioned the Allman Brothers yet? They are one of my favourite blues-rock bands of all time :cool: . Their "Live at the Fillmore" circa 1970 really kicked up some sparks. For a more recent offering, check out "Hittin' the Note".

One of the guitarists currently with the Allmans is Warren Haynes (who is one of my favourite guitarists - the other main one being Chris Whitley, but a different style altogether). Haynes has his own band, Gov't Mule, which you might like to check out also. Blues-rock jam band. They have played with so many musos it is almost too much to record. Last time I heard, Haynes was front-man for the current lineup of the Grateful Dead. They are worth listening to as well!

Chris Whitley died November a year ago. His style is mostly minimalist finger-picking slide guitar with a lot of energy, quite unique, and great songwriting. His first few albums were loud and electric, as is his newest (posthumous) release, "Reiter In". His first 2 albums, which you might like, are "Living with the Law" and "Din of Ecstasy". But beware with Chris Whitley: no one album is representative of him or his music! He can be powerful and broody. (He reminds me of PJ Harvey, although there is no comparison whatsoever apart from their emotion and minimalism.)

And for something more obscure, see if you can find an album called "Stoned Guitar" by Human Instinct, a New Zealand band, from about 1971. It has been released on CD. If you like Hendrix I'm sure you'll love this one - heavy with lots of fuzz and feedback and waawaa :att'n: :hot: :D

I could mention a whole lot more even more weird and wonderful music. but my memory being what it is, and my almost 500-strong CD collection currently being on the floor in a corner with almost as many books stacked in front of them, it shall wait for another time...
:xeye:

www.allmanbrothersband.com
www.mule.net
www.chriswhitley.com
www.wordworx.co.nz/humaninstinct.html

Any real guitar fan should have most of these great artists in their collection.

Dixie Dregs! (Steve Morse has been lead guitarist for peep durple for the last ten years or so)
Steve Morse Band
Eric Johnson
Jeff Beck
Stevie Ray Vaughan

Lee Rittenour
Larry Carlton

Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs ! Dregs !

cool music

Hi, Jan. Long time no see you...

You MUST check out Porcupine Tree. A perfect blend of prog, metal, ambient, psychedelia...
Maybe the mention of all this genres sound a bit eclectic, but the cocktail works. And how!!

Try ¨Lightbulb Sun¨, the live ¨Warzawa¨ -excelent-, the powerful ¨Deadwing¨, or ¨Stupid Dream¨...

Really is music to die for, and sounds incredible on a good system: Steve Wilson, the band leader, is a great producer. He has a keen ear.

And enjoy!

If you like Guitar Rock (assuming you mean music with a lot of great lead guitar playing) I would suggest :

Gary Hoey
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
Whoever Steve Morse is playing with at the time which was Deep Purple last time I checked but maybe not now. Satriani played with Deep Purple too.

A lot of people like Steve Vai a lot so I should mention him too. Personally not me though.

A lot of the bands people mentioned are good bands but I am not sure if they are Guitar Rock.

Just yesterday I bought some Cheap Trick album called ¨All Shook Up¨, circa 1980.
I love that album but I don't know if it is Guitar Rock.

Mars Volta? Well ok but calling it Guitar Rock? Don't think so.

Now that you´ve mentioned Thin Lizzy, I´d give an arm -and some leg too- to get back the double vinyl ¨Live and Dangerous¨:skull: that some mofo stole from my vaults...

I love that album too.

Last edited:
geetar

I have 2 cds by a band called MYSTERY SLANG. VENUS GROVE &RIVER TOWNS the singer guitarist is called LATIF GARDEZ these cds are brill if you like the sort of music you would hear in an amsterdam bar at 2am smoky, moody, dark, blusey music if you can find copies well worth the price they were on virgin oh the guitar work is better than excellent:D

I have read through this and gotten some good ideas myself from the suggestions.

you have to try soul coughing-

Soul Coughing
Amazon.com: Soul Coughing: Songs, Albums, Pictures, Bios

try Irresistible Bliss and El Oso (sound samples on the link) first and then get the next 2.

From the '70s and '80s I would recommend

Billy Squire ("16 strokes - the best of billy squire")
Iron Maiden (at least get "the number of the beast")
Ratt
Rush (assume you already have some of these)

and from more recent times-

Candlebox
Pearl Jam
Audioslave
Rage Against the Machine

Joined 2008
Paid Member
thanks to everyone. I haven't heard of a bunch of the bands posted in this thread. Have to check em out.

these are some of my favorites in no particular order

Savoy Brown
Procol Harem and later Robin Trower with his own band :hypno2:
Ten Years After
Mott the Hoople
Frank Zappa
JoJo Gunn
someone mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, if you like him try Arc Angels(1992) members from Double Trouble(SRV's backup band):redhot:

more laid back and more recent Steve Kimock Band,
Camel

when i think of more......... i will post them

jim

someone mentioned Stevie Ray Vaughn, if you like him try Arc Angels(1992) members from Double Trouble(SRV's backup band)

Double Trouble was originally the name of the band without Stevie Ray as the headliner. He was the lead guitarist and Lou Ann Barton (the queen of Texas roadhouse blues) was on vocals. Johnny Reno was the saxophonist at the time before he split off to form the Sax Maniacs. I spent many hours in the late 'seventies listening to Vaughn at small venues and bars in Dallas and Austin, usually in front of no more than a dozen people. He showed his appreciation for the people who showed up with a fireworks display on the guitar like nothing I have seen before or since.

John

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Coincidentally, ..... My. Goodness.

Double Trouble......... a fireworks display on the guitar like nothing I have seen before or since.

John

You guys are very fortunate to have such great shows like this.:p I s'pose Texas is a very good place for highly talented bands in small venue's.

JL, Thanks for the SRV history. I didn't know that.:eek:

jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.