Need ideas for inexpensive learning project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have built 15 or so Objective O2+ODAC headphone amplifier over the last couple of years. However, that's a very simple design and it's basically like playing with lego except you need to use a soldering iron.

Now I would like to venture a little further into the DIY amplifier world. I don't NEED an amplifier, in fact I have plenty of amplifiers already at my disposal. I want to do this as a learning experience but still keeping it simple and preferably under $100 for all the parts, and cheaper if possible.

I don't know where to start though. I think I still have some 41Hz amplifier kits lying around somewhere, something like an AMP10-Basic and an AMP15 PS XP, however they are not 100% finished and since it was my first time ever soldering I'm not sure if all parts are intact. How difficult is troubleshooting? The biggest problem though is that I have limited documentation left for these, namely schematics, parts layout, and bill of materials.

How difficult would it be to continue on with the AMP10-Basic? The guy running the 41Hz website seems to be gone but maybe with your help it would be possible to figure out what remains to be done to get it to work?

Or is that impossible/too difficult and I should just start with something new?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How difficult is troubleshooting? That depends. How difficult is ice skating or driving a car? It looks daunting if you don't know how, but once you start learning you realize there's a methodology to the madness.

You'd get far more out of troubleshooting a circuit and getting it to work than you will by assembling another kit.

A digital multimeter (DMM), signal generator, and oscilloscope will be good tools to get to know.

Tom

As for ice skating, I can help with that (although the speedskating season ends this week).
Moving on to troubleshooting, way back in 1991 Bob Pease (RIP) wrote a great book:
"Troubleshooting Analog Circuits"
Robert A. Pease

A good library might be able to borrow a copy from another system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.