Need help with NEC Plasmasync 4210W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK guys, I did a search through the old posts and couldn't find a situation like mine. Last night while watching TV, I heard not one, but TWO pops, and something smelled like it was burning. I quickly shut the monitor off, waited a few minutes, and turned it back on to see what would happen. Well, I get a picture on the screen, but it is dim. There are no black sections or lines or anything else like other people reported. So...has anyone seen this before? More importantly, is it repairable? I'd rather attempt to fix it than toss it. So if anyone can help me troubleshoot this or advise on the needed replacement parts, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Well, I would pull the cover and see what burned. I am going to work on a LCD right now, I have been reading the capacitors blow out in them and those are easily replaced....if that is the problem with mine. Unless yours is still in warranty of course.

yeah I intend to do that at some point. costco had a smokin' deal on 42" panasonic plasmas, so I just went out and bought one. but I'd still like to fix my NEC if possible. it's quite old though...so not under warranty, and all my investigation leads me to believe parts are hard to come by. but first things first...once I get a change to crack the case open and have a look, I'll have a better idea of what's what. :smash: worst case, I'll part it out on ebay...seems like others have been doing the same thing with different models...and there seems to be a demand for replacement parts. stay tuned... (no pun! :) )

cheers,
greg

I checked the board on this LCD and can't find anything. It comes on and will not sync, then it shuts off. The OSD comes on trying to sync but then shuts down, the screen looks like matrix with stuff scrolling down. Caps and transistors all test good, but there is another board in there I need to look at. Now my CRT blew up, it smelled really bad and the image went small and blurry.

jermlandro said:
Mine did the same exact thing last nite. Any idea on a fix?

I've completely taken mine apart...can't *visually* find anything wrong with it, so no idea on how to fix it. Ended up buying a Panasonic as a replacement and now I guess I have lots of spare NEC parts to sell! Glass is in great shape, and I even have the speakers too (they sound pretty dang good!). Just gotta get motivated to do something with 'em.

Hope you have better luck with yours,

Greg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.