Need help with HV power supply

Hi All: Havent posted in a LoooonG time but need some help. I am building a simple RH84 from Kitic's excellent board but having troubles with a suitable power supply.
Being a poverty-stricken oldster, I cannot afford to eBuy a proper power transformer. Luck hooked me up with an ancient Marconi 224 radio, from which I have salvaged a working transformer and a healthy 5Y4G rectifier. My problem is this:
Transformer has the following outs: 5Vac, 35Vac (heaters are in a string) and 680Vac CT.
Wired up the 5Y4G with C-R-C (150uf, 470r, 33uf, 400V caps) and I get 450Vdc .
This is odd because the Marconi schematic shows the original PS caps are rated at 20uF/300V and 30uF/360V.

Tried a half-wave 1N4007 on one side of the HV out (measures ~340Vac). I was going to create two separate PS circuits each using one half of the 680V CT windings.
Wired this up for one side to test C-R-C-R-C (150uF, 470r, 0.47uF, 470r, 33uF) from this trafo and get 447Vdc!
I can't understand why the output measures so high in either case.
I have modeled this and other configurations on PSuD and it predicts 312Vdc out at 112mA - not even close to what I am measuring.

I think that this whole thing is hinged on the load (both the real and simulated). For PSuD I have guesstimated the load at 5K, but this is probably miles off. I have noty been able to find any infor on the actual load an RH84 presents to its PS. If anyone knows that it would help a really-really lot.

As you all probably know, I need 315V/100mA for the RH84. Can anyone explain a) why the outputs of the two configurations measure 400V+ and b) how I might drop the PS Output without restricting the current too much?

Cheers all
Jess

The absolute maximum capacitor value on the cathode of your 5Y4G is not to exceed 32uF and it should feed a choke before another 32uF capacitor.
340 0 340 will give you about 380v off load through your valve, due to about a 90volt drop in the valve.
Why are you placing a 470n in there, this is not a semiconductor power supply!

You cannot successfully simulate a valve circuit. All valves, even of the same type, are different ... build it and see what really happens. Get your fingers wet and gain experience like us seasoned engineers did.

Reactions: 1 user
You need a L-input filter, + a bleeder resistor combined with a full-wave rectifier. With silicon diodes, you should arrive at ~330VDC, which can be tweaked with one or two additional RC cells.
With a tube rectifier, the bleeder can be lighter and RC cells shouldn't be required, for the voltage at least: you may want them to improve the filtering, in which case the bleeding can be even lighter.
In your case, choke input is practically mandatory

That.

Or give it what it expects.
Forget silicon diodes and creating two half wave supplies, etc ..

Wire it "full wave" like God and Marconi intended 😄, use your tube rectifier, get original value caps, load it with your RH84 which will be in the ballpark of what's expected, all will be well.
Post RH84 schematic or project link here.

You are the asker, you supply the data 😄

Thank you all for your valuable input. I will stick to the tube domain and foreswear that solid-state stuff! Seems like I will need to go searching for parts. I got the whole radio that the trafo came from - the schematic shows a C-L-C config with 20uF/360V, a choke labeled "L.S.FIELD and a 10uF/300V. From this I take it that they were using the field coil of the loudspeaker for a PS choke. Does this sound right?

Yes.
Since they had to "waste" power anyway to feed the field coil, why not make it do double duty? 😄

Which also drops some +V voltage.

That's why you measure today more than expected.

You can add a choke if you find one, or a proper value resistor, but final value will come after RH84 is working properly
in its place.

Hello Jess:
Welcome back to the forum and tube audio.

If you go with a L-C-R-C .

1711336195736.png

You will be able to drop a lot of voltage and get a nice stable B+. The C1, C2 do not need to be large, in the 22uf range is fine. The L is doing the heavy lifting in this design. The R is used to fine tune the final B+

You can approx the load with a 3K ~ (312V/ 112ma) 30W ~ (.112A x 312V) resistor or a string that adds to about that. It will get hot but allow you the get the B+ in the ball park.

The unloaded B+ is always way different from the loaded. Because the transformer has inherent poor regulation. It is flapping in the wind as they say.

I hope this helps
Give me a call, maybe I can help?

Last edited: