Need Help With Building DIY Grounding Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I am planning to build a DIY grounding box. I am planning to connect my DAC and Integrated amp to this grounding box by connectig the unused RCA input terminals on the both. For this I need to create two cables with Banana at one end and RCA at the other end so that I can connect them via speaker binding post on grounding box.
I need help with how & where to attach (solder) the cable on RCA socket.

I also need help in understanding if I can connect both L & R RCA input sockets on same amp to same grounding box (assuming I am going to solder the wire on the shell/-ve part of RCA connector)? Also Can I similarly connect all unused inputs on DAC/Amp to grounding box.

I understand attaching multiple inputs to grounding box is not going to amplify the effect & I just want to do it for protection of those input terminals.
Regards,

audio_phool

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can't discard theory and the link provided is a very good one.
I will -once again- point to Ott's book "Noise Reduction Techniques in Electronic Systems"
Doing a bit of reading will prevent many disappointments.

Hugo

Reactions: 2 users
You are asking for help with some complete no-sense non-physical full blown audio voodoo.

You could as well bring a dead fish from the market to a doctor and ask him to make the animal alive again.

It would be immoral to offer any "help" in one of these tasks.
If you bought a "grounding box" from some scammer you have lost enough money and it is time to get back on solid audio ground.

Reactions: 3 users
@leadbelly rather than me explaining it, I will refer you to one thread here on DIYAudio forum. It's essentially a box containg minerals and stones mixed to which you can attach the chassis of your electronics or unused input to enhance the SQ. Now don't shoot me for this or start asking about effectiveness or any phyics or electrical engineering part behind it. I am just curious about this and I have grounding problem in the apartment where I live as I am staying in a highrise with 20 more flats in it sharing a single common ground (safety ground) & can't have my own separate safety ground.

So instead of buying/trying ready made products (search Entreq, Nordost etc for ground boxes) which cost silly money which I am not going to spend, I am building my own ground box using minerals, crystals & stones (again don't shoot me for this or start a conversation in tangential direction.

Hope this helps your query, below is the link to thread on grounding box which does not talk about the query I have.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/ground-box-what-is-inside.242406/

Regards,
audio_phool

@Turbowatch2 there is nothing immoral in asking for something like this. A lot of things in audio don't make sense but they still make audible difference. Besides I look at it as an experiment which I am doing it on my own. So now if you have answer to my queries I would appreciate it if you could just stick to the answer rather than diverging this discussion in some other direction.

Regards,
audio_phool

I just wombled over to the Entriq website, and I really would like to say 'thank you' to the OP, as it's given me the best laugh I've had for days. Next thing you know, people will be suggesting you solder one end of a single-core to the negative of an RCA plug, the other to the earth pin of a mains plug, and shove each into a hitherto innocent recepticle.

Oh -hang on... https://gutwire.com/products/ground-cable/ultimate-ground/

'Yeth, Mathder... thrap it thoo a thable andth hith it with a bolth of lightning...'

Humour aside -for the OP, seriously: don't go there, unless you've got the time & money on your hands of course. You're not likely to do any harm, but you're not going to reap many [read 'any'] rewards. However, if you really, really must & you're using those poor innocent old RCA connectors as the victims, forget the nominal (not really, but we'll go with it) positive, solder to the negative, and job-jibbed. As far as the physics goes, it's more or less up there with Mary Shelley, but using the logic (certain generosity of spirit ;) ) espoused by some of the commercial manufacturers of this fly-paper, you shouldn't need to use more than one per piece of equipment.

Attachments

• mathder.png
    mathder.png
    289.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@audio_phool

What you are proposing is completely nonsensical non-engineering that is purely cosmetic and psychological in nature, and the technical-minded people in the thread are trying to give you real information that could help your actual situation.

But instead you are thinking that attaching some wires and jamming them into a box of rocks will do something… it will not.

So to that end, yes, attaching a wire to your audio grounds and thence into a bucket of gravel will not harm anything provided you 1) only use audio grounds, 2) make sure that the wires in the container of stone and dirt do not touch one another, and 3) that you don’t care about the fact that you are attaching a bunch of antenna to your components. (The trough filled with pebbles won’t care much, I suspect.)

Reactions: 1 users
@6L6 thankk you for your response. I am nowhere trying to propose something to someone or asking for the physics or electrical principle behind the grounding box. I know it sounds non-sensical and non-engineering. But so do many things in audio so I don't want to delve into that part.

The only question which I have asked are completely valid from electrical engineering perspective.

1. How to connect the RCA plug (on input socket) to ground (or grounding box) without damaging the electronics.
2. What if I tie (short) the nigitve/shell of unused L & R RCA plugs on the input, will it damage the electronic?

These are perfectly valid question to which I was expecting answers, but sadly things went another way.

Regarding you reply, can you elaborate on audio ground? Are you refering to signal ground? regarding the second point I am planning to make two boxes so only one device is attached to one box and there is no chance of internal wire touching with another one. Regarding your third point I completely understand that it can very well act as antenna, but it's an experiment that I am willing to do as it hardly costs anything.

Regards,
audio_phool

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@audio_phool

I’m sorry that I was too subtle in my response.

What you suggest will do nothing.

Nothing.

IF you decide to continue, make sure the wires you superglue (or whatever) to the electronics do not touch anything except the wooden box filled with the dirt, and those wires do not touch one another.

Best of luck.

Any difference you may perceive after doing this will be 100% psychological, I.E., confirmation bias.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.