Need help tuning PPI

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
welp got box built and stuck my 2 12" subs in it and hooked up my PPI PCX2200 amp. am this thing rocks those 12s. problem is with rock music all I get is crazy Bass guatar and not much kick drum or beat. most music sound great, but some is just aweful, how can it tune this or is it just the music it self. thanks.

What do you have on it for a crossover? I find the parametric EQs really help to smooth out sub response, they are only on some amps and EQs, and of course good HUs. Play with the crossover point. So you mean you get the deeper bass but no punch in upper bass? What kind of box did you end up with, sealed/ported/etc?

Turn your LP frequency up and try that, otherwise put some pieces of wood/bricks/etc in the box to take up space and test that. Secure it in there if you are going to drive around that way. Are subs sealed to box good and box sealed? Box is not flexing is it? That is not real big for 12s, but I don't know the T&S specs on them either. You might try moving the box around if possible. I like big boxes but never have a problem getting punch out of them either. Turn loudness off on HU if its on.

I had a 1.25cf box and had 3 different 12s in it, still didn't like it and took it out because it was too high. I like 30Hz, but like the rest as well.

I stuck it in winISD and you have a peak at about 80Hz, it is +2.5dB louder from 70-90Hz and -3db at 40Hz...0db at 47Hz, 1.5db at 100Hz. This usually does not sound good for music IMO, +3db and that is what you hear loud over everything else. That was figuring about 1.2cf each, what would level it out better is 2.5-3cf each driver. A high Q driver is often this way, but in a larger sealed box has a very smooth response.

If you can't make it larger then go to walmart in crafts and buy a couple bags of the poly stuffing, looks size of a pillow and is $2 each. Fill the box near full just leave some air near the magnet and VC air vents. Don't pack the stuff down much but fill the box mostly full at least 3/4. That should lower the response some, it may or may not be enough to make you happy but will change the sound. The idea is to get rid of the peak in the curve and make it easier to tune to your liking.

They might make a good IB driver with that high Q. Unless the Q is wrong I see few like that these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.