Need Help to repair my Sony SS-X7 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

Today I fried a tweeter in one of my Sony SS-X7 speakers. It was stupid acting with provisional connectors and my prototype amp that somehow caused extreme noise that made my tweeter die.

I don't know whether Sony will support me and sell me a new tweeter for replacement.

On the backside the tweeter reads:
SONY 1-504-664-11
H 720-6ohm
Made in Norway 24/00

Do you have an idea where to get such a tweeter?

Does anyone recognize this tweeter as a brand X model Y one?

Cone diameter is 1 inch (~25mm).
Magnet has 72mm diameter.
Inner screw mounting diameter is 50mm.
Outer mounting screw diameter is approx 94mm.

I liked the sound of the speakers very much. :(

Does someone know an alternative to use for the case I can't manage to find the original part?

Attached some pictures.

Every hint and help is highly appreciated.

I hope this won't happen to anyone else. :(

Thanks,
Lee

Attachments

• SS-X7_1-504-664-11_front.jpg
    SS-X7_1-504-664-11_front.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 956
  • SS-X7_1-504-664-11_back.jpg
    SS-X7_1-504-664-11_back.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 1,208
The Sonys look very much like the ones from Seas. :)

Btw: I was wrong. Mounting hole diameter is 92mm. :)

They have a lot of tweeters that could fit mounting wise except for the terminals. To me they all look alike. :confused: What made you pick those two suggested ones? What parameters to look for? (I only once built a speaker and it was a subwoofer. ;) )

Do you think I even could upgrade with new tweeters? :D
Making the catastrophic mistake into an improvement?

Thanks for the hint! You helped me a lot. :)
Lee

I checked for distributors in Germany and found Intertechnik.

The model numbers there are different what makes it very confusing.

But I saw one that has the terminals the way Sony has them.

Lautsprecher Shop Intertechnik - KT25F | Tweeter :: Seas-Prestige :: Loudspeakers ::

Could this be the one that Sony used?

edit:

Yes! Yes, yes, yes! I measured all distances and it seems this is exactly the tweeter Sony used! :) :) :)

Thank you so much. Without your help I probably wouldn't have found out.

Attachments

• KT25F.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Great resource, thanks!

I took out all four low/midrange chassis to measure their Rdc (which was okay) and took a photo of one.

Does someone recognize this one as well? ;)

Surprisingly they have 8 Ohm impedance and cheapest plastic housing. The magnet doesn't look too powerful to me. Can something like this sell as a single part on the HiFi market?

I like the sound of the speakers very much, except the deep bass. I find the bass to be surprisingly deep but boomy and blurred. That's why I used an active crossover and a separate DIY 15" sub all the years.

I think it was my DIY active crossover that killed the tweeter. The amp that drove them before had a delayed speaker insertion that cut the noise the crossover generated during startup. Before the catastrophe I tested the new amp on the sub channel and without crossover at the full ranges and there it was okay. Only for the sub channel there was a massive turn off thump from the crossover. I will put a speaker relais into the prototype amp ASAP.

The speakers made me curious. I will further take them apart because I like to see their crossovers. Will post some pictures later. :)

Again thanks to all that contributed here.

Lee

Attachments

• SS-X7_1-529-121-11_back.jpg
    SS-X7_1-529-121-11_back.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 269
Ok, thanks.

What confused me was that components didn't look like what I calculated. The film capacitors look like a much smaller value, some 100 nF not uF but they could and should be uF. And the inductor for the HP looked like a much smaller value but calculation said it should be this big.

The R-C parallel to the low/midrange is for compensation, right?

And the 2.7R in series with the tweeter - could it be to match the more efficient tweeter to the less efficient low/midrange?

Is it possible to fix the boomy bass mechanically? Sounds interesting!

I searched and found this:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/110341-reducing-bass-output-ported-bookshelf-speaker.html
Is this what you mean?

From my very little knowledge about speakers I find the suspension to be too soft for a vented enclosure. I suspect this is not uncommon in consumer / "HiFi" and a lot of people like this. The suspension of my 15" PA speaker is really stiff and this gives a firm and controlled bass - deep but dry like the desert.

I find bass from the Sonys is overly prominent and boomy, midrange a bit weak and highs very pleasing.

I was a nice solution to modify the Sony boomboxes to have tighter bass so I could get rid of the huge 15" woofer, my crappy DIY active crossover and my old DIY amp that hums a bit.

Thanks,
Lee

A sock will take you all the way to a leaky sealed alignment (which might do the trick).

A vented system has 2 resonant systems. The bass driver and the air mass in the box interacting with the air mass in the port (think of 2 weights on a string). You can't do much about the driver (change it?), but you can air damp movement in the box the box and/or port.

Thanks, Rex.

I read a lot about this in the meantime and found out that a lot of people stuff things into their speakers ports. Some manufacturers even give a set of plugs with their speakers.

It seems this has to do with room acoustics and speaker placement a lot. I can remember I had them in the middle of the room and also elevated from the ground ~50cm before I moved to where I live now and they sounded fine to me then. Now they are with their backs to the wall floor standing and have too loud bass.

I tried the drinking straws that had too little effect in my case and now tightly stuffed the ports with cotton. This changed the bass to a more pleasant sound. The bass is much less boomy now but lacks the kick I loved from the 15" driver.
Most likely I will end up with the active crossover again but before this I will thoroughly examine what caused the catastrophic chain reaction that also destroyed one channel of my old DIY amp. :confused:
The new amp is plain dangerous and totally unsuited for a domestic environment anyway. Having 2x500Wrms at home is no good at all.

Btw: The replacemet tweeters arrived today and look exactly the same like the Sony labeled ones except the print on the labels and the terminals that are for soldering instead of Faston connectors. With a little tweak to the fastons they fit nicely.

I tried what it sounds like with the 2R7 resistors shorted and found the sound much more pleasing. I soon soldered a piece of wire across them because I liked it so much. Everything up from around 3k should now be accentuated a bit.

Cheers,
Lee

P.S.: I received answer from Sony. They can't sell me replacement tweeters and pointed me to E.L.A.S. Ersatzteilservice | ersatzteile, bestellen, online, kaufen, et
They don't have them, too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.