Need help to pick a Chang plan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I ordered a pair of Pioneer B20FU20-51FW/Dayton ND20FA-6 combo and a handful of capacitors from PE recently. The full range always intriguing me for some time. I search the forum found several plans for the BOFU build. The Nelson Pass TL pretty easy to build but the depth of the enclosure is 20" and not easy to get the approval from the boss of the house. The BOFU BIB just way too big and tall. The Chang Family plans are very interest, praticularly the Half Chang, G Chang and Curvy Chang.

I use the Tubelab SSE to drive a pair of Dayton III MTM. I believe the SSE could capable to drives the Changs, or I might over estimate. Are there any sonic and sensitivity difference between these Changs? Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,

Sidney

I'm no expert but I do know this size of your room and the listening distance play a major role. So give us your room dimensions please. Also if you search on any of the Changs you'll find lots of discussion on this. One option is to build mock-ups out of osb and try it for yourself.

I use the Tubelab SSE to drive a pair of Dayton III MTM. I believe the SSE could capable to drives the Changs, or I might over estimate. Are there any sonic and sensitivity difference between these Changs? Any suggestions are more than welcome.
I drive a pair of BOFU-equipped Half Changs, with my Tubelab SSE. The room is smallish (12'x15'), but I can't even come close to taxing the amp, even using the EL34 tubes that I use for most of my listening.
Do add the "helper tweeter", BTW. It makes a very noticeable improvement.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Great minds think alike!!!

I too have just gotten delivery on my Bofu's and ND20FA tweets and am planning to build a half Chang, either straight or modified.

They will be shop speakers because I have run out of places for speakers upstairs!

Does anyone have a recommended (simple) crossover for the tweeters? In one thread GY Chang mentioned a 2.2uf cap in series with the tweet. Sounds right? Does the relative efficiencies of the Bofu and the Dayton play well together or is more required?

These will be driven with a T-amp, either a Sure, or the dirt cheap ($20) Lepai at PE.

Thanks!

-Tom-

My build is not finished yet. Kinda busy this time of year. On which wall will your system be? How far away from that wall will your ears be? As I understand it in order for the 2 mouths of the taller Changs to 'integrate' you need to be a least 10'-12' away. That's why I went with the half-changs in a slightly smaller room than yours.

Does anyone have a recommended (simple) crossover for the tweeters? In one thread GY Chang mentioned a 2.2uf cap in series with the tweet. Sounds right? Does the relative efficiencies of the Bofu and the Dayton play well together or is more required?

I used 2.0 uf, but 2.2 should work just fine.

The efficiencies of each component is such that I haven't seen the need for any more adjustment. It truly is a magical combination.

Haven't really decided about the tweeter yet. Whatever looks best to my eye I guess. Yes the brace will be offset. I'll also do some of the driver mods such as mortite the magnet, dampen the frame, and the foam whizzer trick. First I'll try it stock and then do each mod one at a time and listen for improvements. I had planned to EnABLE them but now I'm a little nervous about it since the driver has been discontinued. That could always be done later. You'd better hurry. I made progress yesterday!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.