need help sourcing a 12v monitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an older underwater fish camera that has a 3" x 3" monitor. The cam is 12v. I want to replace the monitor with a larger one...perhaps 6" or my max would be 7". The camera now is black and white. Can anyone tell me where to source an inexpensive monitor 6-7". Will any monitor work like say a monitor from a vehicle? thanks

This is a bit late, but... car monitors with video inputs ought to work, like the headrest style or flip-down ceiling type. Car audio dealers sometimes have clearance tables in-store or at auto swap meets. I've picked up a couple of name-brand screens for (relatively) cheap that way.

LCD monitors for game consoles may work. Hip Gear was one common brand.

Active viewfinders out of old camcorders can sometimes be used with composite video. That may be useful if regular LCDs get washed-out in bright sunlight or if you want to look like a cyborg.

Screens out of a GPS or rear-view camera system are a long shot; only try those if they're free or definitely have a video input.

I've seen at least one digital picture frame that had a video input.

These days, though, you should be able to pick up a portable LCD TV for well under $100 from a liquidation store or on sale.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.