need help in guitar amp modification!!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi
im new here in forum and also a newbie in electronics.
i have a china made guitar amp called gtx GA-40R.
im learning how to play a bass guitar and tried to use my bass over this amp and it worked but i dont get the bass sound that i wanted to produce obviously because the amp is designed for a guitar. my amp is a 40 watts amp and im wondering if i can change the speakers of the amp with a woofer speaker so it will sound good. i have here a canton speaker system with a sub woofer and 2 satellite speaker.

can i use this sub woofer to replace the speakers in the guitar amp. the sub woofer is already in a cabinet and i think it already has a crossover..

should i took out the circuits inside the subwoofer and directly connect the speaker terminals to the guitar amp terminals?

i cannot find any specs regarding my guitar amps except that it is a 40 watts amp. i cant read anything from the actual speakers inside also.

the canton subwoofer has some details:

impedance 4 ohms
rec.ampli. power 4..8 ohms
DIN power handling 2 x 70 watts
music power handling 2 x 100watts
frequency range 22...120 Hz

the woofer i think is 10 or 12 inches

pls help thanks in advance!

i just got some info on my amp. i took a tester and tested the terminals of the drivers and it both registered 8 ohms . my amp has two speakers in it. then i tested the canton subwoofer terminals and it registered 8 ohms too. so thus this mean that i can replace 1 speaker with this canton woofer directly?

A domestic stereo (or even worse a car stereo) speaker would be pretty useless for bass guitar, or normal guitar. Instrument speakers have far better power handling, and produce higher sound levels.

Generally a domestic stereo speaker will VERY quickly be killed by a bass guitar.

But as long as you're not worried about killing the speaker, you could always try it and see what it sounds like.

hey guys i think i know what is going on here... i think the canton speaker that i have connected requires more power that is why it doesn't produce any sound when i turn the amplifier on...
i am so worried that i might blow up the speaker when i should be worried about is blowing up the amp itself... am i correct?

hey guys i think i know what is going on here... i think the canton speaker that i have connected requires more power that is why it doesn't produce any sound when i turn the amplifier on...
i am so worried that i might blow up the speaker when i should be worried about is blowing up the amp itself... am i correct?

If the speaker doesn't produce any sound at all then it's faulty, or you've not connected it properly - a speaker will work on minute power levels, it will just be quieter (which is what happens when you turn the volume down).

If the speaker doesn't produce any sound at all then it's faulty, or you've not connected it properly - a speaker will work on minute power levels, it will just be quieter (which is what happens when you turn the volume down).

thanks sir for the reply.. but why is it not producing any sound at all?, because when i test it with a tester it produces a crackling sound the moment it touches the positive and negative terminal of the tester.. someone told me that if it so then the speaker is good..

finally got it !! i've remove all the original speakers and connected the woofer alone and it worked... maybe the connection between the built in speaker of the amp and the woofer were configured wrong that is why it didn't work the first time.
now my bass guitar sounds like a bass guitar now hehe
thank you all for your time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.