• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need Help. Anyone with Philips AG 9016??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I need a bit of help here. I have a Philips AG 9016n tube amp that had a bit of a meltdown and I burnt out a resistor that I now cannot read the values of and it is not listed on the schematic diagram that I have of it. It is the resistor (biggie) that is located across the two fuses. It is the large one that is soldered to the fuses.

I need to replace this resistor so I can get it up and running again. I have the schematic for it, however it is not located anywhere on it (at least not anywhere that I can find it...) If someone has this amp and either knows the value of this resistor, or could take a quick minute and use a multimeter and find out the value (or just read me out the colors on the side of the resistor would be ok too...!!!)

Also if anyone knows any easy mods that might spruce up this little guy that would be greatly appreciated. I love this little amp as it sounds great. It is relatively original, except for this resistor that I fried and it is in mint shape. I will be replacing the little black capacitors that are on the transformers with new ones as suggested in another thread. That's about all that I plan on doing because I would like to keep it relatively stock. However if there is any other mods that might be reccommended to help update it I would be open to suggestions. I just don't want to go overboard, just a little tweak or two.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

Chris Nicholls

Hello,

I also own an Ag9016.
They are very nice amps indeed, and can take quite a beating!!
(it played a whole night without speakers connected, still works)

i've been looking into if there were tweaks to perform on the amp, haven't done this....yet....

There was a thread on DIY called:
40 yrs old philips ag9016 se flea-power ?

in post #19 and 20 there is a big tweak-schematic which should make the amp perform a lot better (and losing the tone controls)

hope you can find it....

I also have an AG9016, bought at a flea-market last year. Intended first to use it for parts, but found that it worked perfectely. :)

I have done only a couple of small mods, and a little "tube rolling".
- I disconnected the Loudness function from the volume control.
- Installed a switch to bypass the tone controls.

The mods are marked in red on the top channel on the attached circuit diagram. I also changed the electrolytic caps C9/12/39/42 to new ones, with slightly larger value.

The "tweak" mentioned in the earlier thread 40 yrs old philips ag9016 se flea-power ? seems more like a total re-build.

--
Svein B.

Svein_B said:
The mods are marked in red on the top channel on the attached circuit diagram.

Sorry, the diagram seems to have been lost in my posting. It is here: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c157/sveinb/ag9016dia-mod1.jpg

I will also consider a suitable replacement for C11/41. The original value of 3.3 nF will have -3dB at around 200 Hz (maybe that is the lowest frequency the OPT can handle ?). Ceramic tube caps are also not enjoying the highest reputation as coupling caps - as far as I know.

--
Svein_B

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.