Need guidance on (focused) music player for Linux.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I want a Linux based music player that does this, after I execute the playback.

1. Decode and store the full music to RAM.

2. Communicate sampling rate, bit depth etc to usb dac via usb audio class 2 protocol, and if possible do a short sync.

2. Remove all handles (no scrubbing, no seeking etc) except play, stop and pause with keyboard interrupts. Probably even remove mouse/trackpad polling, and stick only to keyboard.

3. Play the song.

4. Have option to change volume alone (communicating volume to dac directly through usb audio class, not software volume control) when needed, again through keyboard interrupts.

Make sure that it is very focused and instruction sequences are fully about music playback and music playback only, by starting and incrementing memory (instead of checking for user input on location everytime, stealing instruction cycles).

I recently tried hysolid on windows and I was blown away. It has its control done via a smartphone app, using wifi but the concept is the same with respect to playback. The sound is a serious improvement over other players I've tried (difference is higher than moving between multiple class of headphones). I'd prefer if it ran on 64 bit engine, which imo is the only improvement I see missing in hysolid (other than it being windows exclusive and having to put up with other daemons in windows).

I tried ap-linux yesterday, and wasn't satisfied. The installation procedure, for a Linux noob like me was super hard and a friend guided me through it for hours together. After installing i found that it had 3 players - deadbeef, audacious and cantata, with a realtime kernel on the system. I don't think it felt in any way better than winyl on windows and a far cry from hysolid.

Since it was too buggy to try around, I've removed and I'm installing gentooplayer by the recommendation of a friend. Would like guidance on the music player setup as per requirements above. I saw that it allows to have ramdisk to store the music but I am unsure if the playback engine works the way I described above.

I also tried to experiment with daphile but again I encountered issues with network connectivity etc (surface book doesn't have ethernet and it's wifi chip seems complicated, and bad imo).

I am open to experimenting with other distros - my laptop is surface book. I need to dual boot, and can't compromise windows. I am less interested in remote control, though I am okay with it if there's no other way. I want to use windows for other purposes, and Linux when I want to jam out with music.

You won't find a linux distro that meets your specific requirements simply because it's not necessary. Linux is a multitasking operating system and will play music without any problems even as a desktop system.

You may have encountered device driver issues running certain linux distributions on your surface book.

Most audio specific linux distributions are primarily aimed at the raspberry pi. It maybe easier for you to explore some of these options.

Audio players for the linux desktop can be hit and miss, some are better than others.

I also tried to experiment with daphile but again I encountered issues with network connectivity etc (surface book doesn't have ethernet and it's wifi chip seems complicated, and bad imo).
I strongly suggest you to give Daphile an other try and be sure to check the Daphile thread : Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS.
Seems to me that Daphile is answering 90% of your requests.
Keep on trying...

I recently tried hysolid on windows and I was blown away. It has its control done via a smartphone app, using wifi but the concept is the same with respect to playback. The sound is a serious improvement over other players I've tried (difference is higher than moving between multiple class of headphones). I'd prefer if it ran on 64 bit engine, which imo is the only improvement I see missing in hysolid (other than it being windows exclusive and having to put up with other daemons in windows).
Why don't you use Windows and HySolid in dual boot then? When you trim the HySolid/Windows environment (i.e. stop all processes and remove apps that you don't need/want - there are tutorials that describe how to do this on the Internet) you get what you want/like.

I use Daphile myself and that is really nice and quite divers, but you can't change all the things you may want/need. Daphile is more a way to play music without having to think what to install/configure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.