• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Need advice on Val Audio amp with EL-34 Tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FSHZ:42 said:
What do you think about the USSR TUBES 6N3P Hi-Fi VALVE 2C51 5670 Lot of 4?
Would these be a good buy?

Seems like a reputable seller, the Russian tubes are supposed to be good and you are in a tight spot trying to buy these... so why not? Go for it. Also, the beauty of Ebay is... if you don't like them... you can always just turn around and relist them and sell them again and get something else.

O.K. Let's see if I am one step from ordering these tubes!
Say I purchase these 4 Russian tubes, will they be a matched set?
Because the ones that are on my amp now(6N3's) are numbered 1-4 and go into slots numbered 1-4. So if they are matched and better than the originals, then I shall purchase a quad set of the SED's, and together they should be a notice of sound improvement?
Is this correct?

Say I purchase these 4 Russian tubes, will they be a matched set?

Probably not, but you could ask anyway.

So if they are matched and better than the originals, then I shall purchase a quad set of the SED's, and together they should be a notice of sound improvement?

I would hope so. Personally, I would try the pre & driver tubes first, with the original EL34's in place and listen for any major changes.

Jeff

Do you think the best thing would be to wait until I could purchase a matched quad set of the Russian 6N3P's and then change out the stock EL34's with a matched quad set of SED's?
Perhaps someone could e-mail me if they happened to know or see a set available would be much appreciated!

Once again, Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!

FSHZ:43

Do you think the best thing would be to wait until I could purchase a matched quad set of the Russian 6N3P's and then change out the stock EL34's with a matched quad set of SED's?

I would just go ahead a buy some tubes and have them matched yourself. You may not find a matched quad unless you know someone with a large stockpile who would measure them for you.
Actually, you don't really need a matched quad of pre/driver tubes anyway. What you want are matched pairs, as they perform different functions in the amplifier.

This would not be the case for the EL34's, as they would be purchased new as a matched quad.

Jeff

vinylkid58 said:

I would just go ahead a buy some tubes and have them matched yourself. You may not find a matched quad unless you know someone with a large stockpile who would measure them for you.
Actually, you don't really need a matched quad of pre/driver tubes anyway. What you want are matched pairs, as they perform different functions in the amplifier.

This would not be the case for the EL34's, as they would be purchased new as a matched quad.

Jeff

So in other words if I buy the Russian 6N3P's matched pair, this pair would go on one side(channel)? I guess what I am trying to say is one matched pair per side? So as long as the russian tubes are in matched pairs, it wouldn't matter if lets say I purchased a matched pair from someone on e-bay that is in U.K. and then a week later purchase a matched pair from somewhere else, say someone from London, that is listing the same Russian 6N3P's
on e-bay?

I just received an e-mail from someone selling these Russian 6N3P tubes and here is what he said: Let me know what you think? Thanks again for the help!

These are new, unused Russian stock. I have a matched pair in my CD player at the moment! I have tried loads of valves and found these to be one of the best - hence why I chose them for personal use. They are £6.95 each and postage is £4.95 for each valve so effectively £11.90 each including poatage. You can buy them from my other auction using PayPal. Have you tried the GE5670 tubes? They are also very good - more laid back and not as detailed as the Russians - but depends what sound you like? All five of the 6N3P tubes are from the same batch and therefore matched.

Cheers,

Chris

So in other words if I buy the Russian 6N3P's matched pair, this pair would go on one side(channel)? I guess what I am trying to say is one matched pair per side?

No, they generally go left to right for each section of an integrated amp.

So as long as the russian tubes are in matched pairs, it wouldn't matter if lets say I purchased a matched pair from someone on e-bay that is in U.K. and then a week later purchase a matched pair from somewhere else, say someone from London, that is listing the same Russian 6N3P's

That's right, you could have 6N3P's up front and 5670's for the driver section, or the other way 'round.

They are £6.95 each and postage is £4.95 for each valve so effectively £11.90 each including poatage.

That seems like a lot of money, especially when there are auctions where you get 4 tubes for $8 bucks. I wouldn't spend more that $5 per tube at this point. I don't think that there is a big demand for this particular tube.

Jeff

Looking at the picture you posted on the VAL amp, one matched pair (6N3P) would go on the front left and right in place of the stock ones, and the other matched pair (6N3P) would go on the back left and right replacing those stock tubes as well?

That's right. You could have two pairs of 5670's instead, just depends on the sound that you like.

Treat this as an experiment and a learning exercise as well. You will learn more about your amp, more about how tube amps work in general and possibly find a good local supply of tubes.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff for the help! Much appreciated! Now I understand on where and how the tube will go as far as the 6N3P's and as you said before that a matched quad set won't matter. I think I will number them just in case I take them out to maybe upgrading the guts! If you come across some matched pairs of the russian 6N3P's, would you let me know what would be a good deal, and also, do you think that going with the SED EL-34's are a good choice?

My pleasure.

I will keep my eyes open for 6N3P/5670's.

SED EL34's would be a great choice. Buy them from a reputable dealer, that way if you have one go bad, they will replace the tube no questions asked.

Only change one thing at a time. New components take time to burn in, be patient and listen for a few hours after each change/upgrade. That way if you don't like the change, it's easy to go back.

Jeff

Jeff here is another e-mail that guy chris send me for the 6N3P's, that seems to be a ridiculous price!

Hi. The five tubes for sale are all from the same production run - so if you purchase four, they will all be matched. I will supply the original Russian spec sheet. Im assuming you are in the USA - postage to the US will be £7.45 per tube - so a total price of £57.60 - which is about $117.84. You will see the price in US$ when you go through the buy it now process. I have adjusted the postage price on the auction so all you need to do is click the buy it now button and select the number of items as four. You need a PayPal account to do this. After you have purchased the four tubes, I will be left with only one - and its hard to sell them as single items - so I will give you this one for free and send it with the others for free - so you can have a spare. I dont have any of the other tubes you want - all I can suggest is looking on the net.

Thanks,

Chris

Can you post a picture of what it looks like inside? Then we can get a better idea of what can be done.

1. I would keep the valves that are on it and but cook+cool them as described by MJ in his book.

Put them in a dish (not covered) in a cold oven and turn on - bring up slowly to 150 degrees celcius and keep there for 4 hours. Then turn the oven off and let everything cool overnight. Don't move those tubes out of the oven until they are cool. This really works wonders with old tubes and doesn't cost you anything. I actually go to 200 degrees celcius for 2 hours, but this may brown the lettering on your tubes...

2. Change the coupling caps to PIO (paper in oil) if they aren't already. Russian military caps are the cheapest to be had right now. K40Y-9 are nice. Make sure they will fit first though... ;)

3. Change cathode bypass caps to elna cerefine, elna silmic, nichicon muse or black gate. Elna cerefine are getting tough to find. My favourte is Elna Silmic.

4. If it has SS rectifier then change it to Hexfred type.

These are the changes that I find do the MOST with the least degree of effort.

soulmerchant,

Thanks for the advice! It is really nice that they have good people here, who are willing to share their knowledge to others who seek some help. So once again I say "Cheers" to all for the info given to me! O.K. back to amp: I believe I will wait until I can purchase some new Russian 6N3P tubes in matched pairs, then purchase a matched quad set of SED's. I would love to go inside the guts and change out a few things, but would probably need some help in doing so. I could perhaps take a photo of the inside and post it here, and maybe one of you guys could tell me what to do. Could you tell me what equipment I would need in order to perform this task? Also, about the oven, even if the tubes don't have a lot of hours on them, is it still alright to do this process?

Thanks,

"Will the sound be better?"

OK.. you asked how to improve your amp. In most cases - getting better tubes will improve your amp's sound - hence tube rolling as an audiophile pastime. Also, it's by far the easiest thing you can do to improve your sound - no soldering, no tools, just plug and play. Once you hear the difference a set of tubes CAN make, you won't ever look at buying tubes the same way again. BUT, that's no guarantee you will get an improvement if you upgrade to the Russian 6N3s and EL34s. So, look at it like this.. if you get the tubes and they sound the same as the ones in it.. you have a spare set for when the originals do wear out - and they eventually will. So, either way, no money lost. To me the risk is worth it, I think you will notice an improvement...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.