Need advice on driver selection and box design to fit in limited space

Hi, currently I'm using pair of floor standers with single fullrange driver MA Alpair 10p.
Due to ongoing furniture replacement I decided to make new bookshelf enclosures for the A10p and then add a single subwoofer for 2.1 system.
The space for the sub is next to the TV stove - the red box on the picture and it will be next to a entrance to another room.
1708883580417.png

The available space will be enough for a box with external dimensions (from the point of view) WxHxD 260x650x480 mm
The gross internal volume is 60L (2.11ft3)

1708883817995.png

What do you guys think is suitable for this scenario?
The sub out of my 2+1 amp is rated as 38W@8ohms and 75W@4ohms.
I'm not going to use it for parties just for normal listening and movies.
I'll very much appreciate driver suggestions!
Thanks!

Something missing is how low you want it to go (you mention movies, that usually means 20 hz or less at a decent volume), if you will use it for music maybe you can think about going with dual subs too, if you don't need too much output maybe take a look into the Pony subs from Paul Carmody, is uses a relatively economical 8 inch driver and it goes to about 23 hz if I remember correctly (right now the PE forms are down)

Well I don't aim at some explicit frequency or SPL levels. My goal is to make best use of the space that I have within reasonable price.
Usually I don't listen loud because i live in apartment and i have neighbors.
I've spent some time looking for drivers and design considerations.
What make the most impression were 3 variants:
1. Single 10" SB Acoustics SB26SFCL38 mounted sideways as in the sketch from the first post. The driver is well suited for sealed and in my volume F3 is 38Hz.
2. Dual 5x8" SB Acoustics SB15SFCR39
3. Dual 8" SB Acoustics SB20PFCR30

For the dual variants I'm looking at Dual opposed subwoofer (DOS) configuration.
One on the front and one on the rear facing the wall.
As far I as understood the DOS concept is good for canceling the vibrations of the enclosure which is kind of cool because I will not bother my neighbors.
In the same time the smaller drivers have higher Fs and I don't know if they will be able to achieve the same SPL as the bigger driver at lower frequencies.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I'd still recommend the Beyma 12BR70.

The double 5x8" SB Acoustics SB15SFCR39 should be compareable to the single 10" SB Acoustics SB26SFCL38 unless you want to test it loud one day where the 10" will win in terms of output.

Double 8" SB Acoustics SB20PFCR30 will be a tiny bit more efficient than the other options you listed due to slightly more surface area, max output should be more or less equal to the single 10".

I'd still recommend the Beyma 12BR70.

At first I didn't find it in any known shop or it was listed way too expensive. Now I think I've found where to source it. I'll look at it.
I am not looking for max output. Main usage will be at volume where you don't need to rise your voice to speak with someone.

Dave,
the A10p will go from floorstanders to bookshelf. I'll use some of the designs from the MA web site like the CGR.
The 60L volume is the maximum internal volume that is available for the SUB.
Push-Push is the same as DOS right? Electrically drivers are connected in parallel so they will both move either inward or outward.

Fanatic
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Double SB20PFCR30 is still about 84€ + shipping.

I realize the 12BR70 is limited availability these days, could be declining sales, still a well built driver with cast alu frame though not for huge power handling. Speaker driver costs have increased a lot the last couple of years. I bought my 12BR70 for around 60-70€ each some years ago, Beyma make some nice drivers but it seems many shops have stopped offering them for some reason.

Anyway, not important, you should do either the double SB20PFCR30 or a single SB26SFCL38.

Last edited:
Yep your name is written on the sketch :)

Disk Operating Sytem?

dave

Dual Opposed Subwoofer. I assume you disagree with this definition.

After further search I cant' find 12BR70 for less than 116E + international shipping.
I can buy SB Acoustics from local distributor.
2 x SB20PFCR30-8 are 84E and SB26SFCL38-8 is exactly the same 84E.

If I go dual 8" I will reduce the volume to 51L because I will have to leave couple of cm between the back driver and the wall.
If I go side-mounted single 10" the volume can be increased to 56L.

I will input my parameters in Visaton's BoxSim software to see some graphs.