Need a midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've changed what I want to do AGAIN recently from MTM to 2-driver 2-way to 2 Extremis, small cone mid, ribbon tweet...

So I need a small midrange (3-4") that is:
-detailed
-able to take 100W
-good (not necessarily perfect) off-axis up to at least 4kHz
-not TOO pricy (not going to set a specific target price, but > $200 is way too expensive, < $150 is preferred)

I want to cross to the tweeter at 4-5kHz. I was considering WR-125s but I want more power and less beaming at high frequencies, so I want to get < 4.5"...

MDM-55 doesn't go low enough in FR (so the graph tells me, anyway) and I'm not really interested in domes.

Fostex FX120 I looked up says 10W/30W, which is not enough. I want to use an OPA549 or at the least, an LM3875. The Eton interests me - how is it off-axis?

OK, I have looked at those and I'm interested in the Eton 4-300 still. But also, for close to the same price, I could go with 2 WR125s. That should bring me even closer to the 100W I originally wanted. Any opinions between those 2? I'm a little reluctant to just pull the trigger here because I've never purchased anything other than cheap HT stuff.

DonoMan said:
I could go with 2 WR125s.

If you intend to do an MTM, then parallel-wired 16-ohm WR125ST's would be a nicer load and also allow decreased center-to-center distances.

I'm using a WR125S as a mid temporarily in a 3-way system. Nice driver. I recently bought a pair of WR125ST's, but I'm going to play around with them for a while before I decide on how I want to use them. I'm having some technical troubles. The Usher tweeters I bought are distorting and have to go back to Parts Express, so it'll be quite awhile before I do anything with the 125ST's.

Well, what I'd be looking at would be something like (2) Extremis, (2) WR125ST, (1) tweeter (undecided) --- or (2) Extremis, (1) Eton 4-300, (1) tweeter (undecided).

Either way, they'll be active speakers with a separate amp per driver (except the WR125STs if I use them, which will use 1 chip with both drivers in parallel)

Hi,
I've heard a good number of speakers using the 125's and I have to say they are a very good driver. With the Extremis they're a natural, but I'll add a note of caution. The dual Extremis designs that I've heard overload a "normal" room. In a large room it would probably work just fine, and in fact, would be my choice in those circumstances, but I would be reluctant to recommend a dual Extremis configuration to most people with regular homes. The good news is that a single Extremis has a very coherent, liquid sound with a "lot" of extention and is, IMHO, just about perfect in a small to normal room.
One of these days I'll probably go down this path myself, especially if my stock of Radio Shack close-out speakers ever runs out:whazzat:
I take a lot of ribbing from the NW audio types, but most of them seem to think I do pretty good with what I'm working with.
So unless you have a big room, go with a single 125 and Extremis with your tweeter of choice and I'm willing to bet you won't be disapointed.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Another thought

I no sooner submitted a reply when it occured to me that there was "ONE" dual Extremis application I've heard that seemed a little better as far as loading a room, but I only heard it briefly and won't guarantee that it will work in a normal room. It is more likely to work than any of the other designs I've seen so far. What I'm referring to is dual Extremis drivers on an open baffle. I don't think there was any added circuitry other than the crossover, but I may be wrong. Sounded pretty decent and the OB solution does minimize some of the room loading issues. I can't give you any more details other than the baffle looked to be 10 or 12 inches wide. This isn't much info, but OB "is" a viable choice with these drivers.
Best Regards,
TerryO

Thanks for the info, though OB is not for me at this point. My room is 16'x12' which is by no means large. I use my speakers for both music and HT, and I CRANK it either way. And I don't have a subwoofer at the moment (though a friend and I are supposed to build a couple of Tuba 24s sometime in the next couple of months - one for each of us) so it needs to handle explosions and stuff pretty well. My room is also damn full of stuff so I can't really spare the space to go for big speakers. (and I don't even know where that Tuba24 is going to go as of yet, hah)

Donoman stated:
Thanks for the info, though OB is not for me at this point. My room is 16'x12' which is by no means large. I use my speakers for both music and HT, and I CRANK it either way. And I don't have a subwoofer at the moment (though a friend and I are supposed to build a couple of Tuba 24s sometime in the next couple of months - one for each of us) so it needs to handle explosions and stuff pretty well. My room is also damn full of stuff so I can't really spare the space to go for big speakers. (and I don't even know where that Tuba24 is going to go as of yet, hah)

Mr. D,
If that's the room that you'll be using I wouldn't go the dual Extremis route unless you are only looking for a BSC solution. When I said that they overload a room, I was thinking of an even larger room than you have. Acoustic treatment will help, but it would still be overkill.
With the Extremis in a room that size, you'll probably never, ever miss a subwoofer. They really do put out an ample amount of bass. For Music a single woofer is more than enough and with a little bass boost I'm sure that it would be satisfactory, but YMMV.
Another thought, are you going to have Extremis woofers for your HT rear channels? If so, then a Sub would not be needed, period.
I'm not trying to talk you out of your dream system, but too much is often a lot worse than not quite enough.
Best Regards,
TerryO

I second the recommendation for the Monacor 4" Mid. Very, very well behaved and crossed 3kHzish to a tweeter of your choice makes for an excellent choice. It is however a 4 ohm driver, but that is not really a problem in my book anyways and allows you to match it to more sensitive drivers. They do an 8 Ohm version of the same driver too.

Add some allen head bolts and you don't even have to recess the driver due to the its flat frame. It is extremely well behaved in the time domain and can be crossed quite a bit higher than 3kHz still if you want to.

Martin

The "beaming" is a function of the driver diameter and the baffle. Almost all cone drivers of a given size will exhibit similar power response characteristics.

Also note, that the data posted has a fair range, but it looks like a fairly nice speaker for a very well damped listening room.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.