Need a device that GENERATES AC mains noise

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Alex,
it would be easier to find some equipement, like a dimmer switch that will dirty the mains.
For safety reasons alone its easier to hook up a 'dirty' appliance than make the required circitry. Though an isolation transformer with an added winding fed from the chip amp would add noise to the output!
Power supplies are the heart of any electronics (not only audio) and quite often the difference between expensive and cheap is down to the power supply quality, as generaly the expensive components are in the PSU. Also quality of design of the PSU is critical, especialy in SMPS's
There are some interesting threads that look at the problem from the other viewpoint, i.e. regenerating mains to create clean power, which are worth a read.
Having clean power can vary from country to country, where you live, being near a large industrial estate is not good, quality of the power distribution system as mentioned, a whole load of things.
The UK EMC complience club is currently running a campaing to stop mains borne communications as this is adding noise.
Now if you realy wanna fry things, many years ago sunlamps consisted of two carbon electrodes with an arc between them, you had a thumbwheel to move one of the electrodes till it started arcing, then sat in front of it to get a sun tan, radiation sickness and whatever else...

The UK EMC complience club is currently running a campaing to stop mains borne communications as this is adding noise.

I found this amusing. Does a little noise, that will stay in the home, really affect things on a massive scale?

I think mains communication is a good idea, because then appliances can communicate, to keep peak power usage down, ie, you set the dishwasher and tumble dryer at the same time.

By mains, one tells the other, you go first, let me know when you're done. Hour later, it says I'm done, so you can start now. I reckon in the future, we won't pay for electricity per unit of power, we'll pay by peak usage...

Hi Chris,
I dont know how much you have had to deal with EMC issues but:
Firstly I am refering initialy not to PLC (power line communication) in the home, but to wider use of the UK power line systems.

http://www.compliance-club.com/PLT/PLT book.pdf

The above link should give you a bit more info on what I am refering to.
As to PLC in the home, I wouldn't use it, it is efectively adding interference to the mains, not good. And at the frequencys involved a little noise can go a long way, your house wiring makes a very good antenna, so not only will this noise be superimposed on the mains, it will also be radiated.
PLC is not the only problem with adding noise to the mains, as the previous posts on this thread have illustrated. All this noise has to be filtered out.

I found this amusing. Does a little noise, that will stay in the home, really affect things on a massive scale?

I think mains communication is a good idea, because then appliances can communicate, to keep peak power usage down, ie, you set the dishwasher and tumble dryer at the same time.

By mains, one tells the other, you go first, let me know when you're done. Hour later, it says I'm done, so you can start now. I reckon in the future, we won't pay for electricity per unit of power, we'll pay by peak usage...
These PLC things a crap, not only in the UK. I have tried one, a CE marked one. It impaired severely the range of my DECT and rendered my WIFI useless.

Initially I tried one because my WIFI was nearly useless. Until I discovered my neighbours had set up their house with PLC for AV distribution. And because they had also problems with their cell phone, the problem was not difficult to solve by trashing the PLC.

Need I say more?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.