NAS - SqueezeBox Duet OR PC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Everyone.

Found this form today and have found it to be really helpful and informative.

Have recently embarked on a mammoth CD ripping adventure using EAC. I don't have the biggest collection of CD's by any means but I have a fair few and thought it was about time I made them a bit more accessible.

Not sure about other people on here, but I have found it really fun going through CD after CD with EAC. Irrespective of how many CD's I have, I can get overly selective over time meaning I don't really listen to the full collection enough. Ripping them one by one has made me appreciate the ones I haven't heard for a long time and of course having them instantly selectable without sitting amongst a pile of CD cases is a huge benefit.

But anyway....

My plan beyond ripping them was to store them on a 2TB Netgear ReadyNas box and then get a Squeezebox Duet to select and send the music to my amp. Was going to get that this week but have other ideas now.

An alternative is to build a PC that can store and output the music to my amp whilst providing a screen for selection. I guess if I go down this route I can look at all kinds of input/selection devices and can use a spare monitor that I don't mind leaving on. I would also be able to choose the best soundcard.

So my thinking at present is
  1. NAS Box – SqueezeBox Duet
  2. PC – Unconfirmed Input Device – Monitor – Soundcard
I think the PC idea is appealing in part because I don't really want to chuck the music around the house. I listen in one room and don't need to be sending the music to the kitchen etc.

Any suggestions as to the best way to proceed are welcome :)

I have my music on a synology NAS, and with DS audio I always have my collection anywhere I go.

At home I use a PC with Foobar2000 and spdif out and a 22" inch screen

I must admit that I'm looking at something more simpel like Beep.

https://www.thisisbeep.com/

The reason is that when you music is on a windows PC in the livingroom, it will be taken over by the kids, and it's kind of ugly with that big screen a mouse and keyboard (even if it's a very small keyboard.

That Beep looks like a nice device, i just don't like having my phone streaming music, every email, message phone calls disrupts the music!

I'm switching my source over from a MacMini to an old MacBook, as it has a built in screen, it means I don't need iPhones and can use the little apple remote.

I consume quite a lot of movies and tv, so having the option to play Plex for 95% of viewing, but also iPlayer, Netflix etc is a bonus.

Apple Airport Express for about £60 refurbished provide an instantaneous whole house streaming network.

I like apples if you hadn't guessed.

Kjeldsen: something similar what is already on the market

Node | Bluesound - HiFi for a wireless generation
Raumfeld Connector : Buy online at Teufel

both of them output 24/192 through toslink, both of them are ios or android remote controlled with upnp and dlna, both of them contain built in DAC with RCA output (wouldn't count with it for serious listening), I got raumfeld connected with Synology NAS (through router) and with optical cable in to my DAC, raumfeld has little buggy app. but getting regular updates so not big deal for me, I'm happy cuz important part for me is gapless playback of hi-res music and in this case raumfeld does great job for 180 EUR ;)

Last edited:
Kjeldsen: something similar what is already on the market

Node | Bluesound - HiFi for a wireless generation
Raumfeld Connector : Buy online at Teufel

both of them output 24/192 through toslink, both of them are ios or android remote controlled with upnp and dlna, both of them contain built in DAC with RCA output (wouldn't count with it for serious listening), I got raumfeld connected with Synology NAS (through router) and with optical cable in to my DAC, raumfeld has little buggy app. but getting regular updates so not big deal for me, I'm happy cuz important part for me is gapless playback of hi-res music and in this case raumfeld does great job for 180 EUR ;)

I know, I just love the simplicity and the big knob:D. Yesterday I found out that bluetooth actual can do lossless via aptx. I didn't know that, so I will investigate that further. Aptx receivers with spdif out are not that expensive.

My 2 cents.

1. PCs are noisy, it takes huge efforts to make them sound best
(Have a look at >1.000.000 tunings proposals out there)
2. Small embedded boards with small nice 5V supplies are IMO
a good starting point.
3. There are several SD-images out there (e.g. Volumio,Rune), which
make such a board an excellent network player
4. I wouldn`t recommend NAS systems. These are usually
inflexible, slow and expensive. If you'd use Volumio you'll
have NAS funtionality built in.
5. I'd strongley recommend to stay away from Screens, Keyboards etc.
as local control and display. If u use Volumio or Rune Audio u can
use your phones and tablets as UI.

Watch out: You need a class compliant USB DACs with these boards!

Good luck.

Cheers

Kjeldsen: yep, it has big knob :D
regarding aptx, yes, aptx devices are cheaper but you have to rely on BT connection only, it has to have build in D/A conversion with most probably limited quality (depended on cost) and you have to use your phone/tablet as player. I don't know what's your current audio gear and expectation of the output quality so hard to comment further ;)

A synology is SOTA, I use it with a raid 1 (Mirror) : 2x2 Tb.

It's an expensive solution, but you have a DNLA and the squeezebox server if you use any Squeezebox devices (I use it with two SB Duet !). The DNLA can feed your TV also : all in wifi, RJ45 your choice ! USB out for some Synology devices ! Low current cusumption, small, no needs of computer switched on to use it, just need one to manage it from your Internet Explorer with an internal IP adress !

Don't go Under 512K ram if you choose one for squeezebox server & with two disk emplacement for the backup (which must noy avoid you to do a copy to be puted outside of your home in case of disaster (water, fire, thieves!)

There are excellent smartphone Appliance more fast than the squeezeboc remote (you needs some times for conf ... to make it easy)

The sounds of the Duet should bore you and you will need an another spidf input DAC... so 192 Khz max : not the solution.

For a more versatile solution I should trythe SoundCheck solution : more possibilities if you choose oversampling made from the pc (to 384 Mhz)... more good USB devices for DAC !

If launched Soundcheck could advise also the Qubitruck A80 like he already did : micro computer at a cheap price : low cumsumptyion also, small foot print, also DNLA and TV ready for movies... This devices is waited by many as the last has a slightly lack of power... But here you dive in the Linux World !

Take care with the old laptop... better sounding result were subjectivly heard with the more modern W8 core ! Most of the Noisy laptop have no problem : all usb DAC have nowadays isolator chip for galvanic isolation but the Amereno IIRC.

Last edited:
Kjeldsen: yep, it has big knob :D
regarding aptx, yes, aptx devices are cheaper but you have to rely on BT connection only, it has to have build in D/A conversion with most probably limited quality (depended on cost) and you have to use your phone/tablet as player. I don't know what's your current audio gear and expectation of the output quality so hard to comment further ;)

I have read some more. Aptx supports 24/96 quality and reffered to as nearly lossless. There are some lossy compression from time to time it seems. I might try it. My system is digital so no need for a DAC, I just need a bluetooth Aptx receiver with digital output to my MiniDSP. I would like to be able to stream every sound from a tablet, and not rely on that the wifi streamer have an APP for spotify, youtube etc.

Output quality should match CD quality. I don't care if its better than 16/44 since all my music is in that format.

I can always have direct digital output from my NAS as a backup if BT fails to connect, since I have more digital inputs in my MiniDSP preamp.

I like good sound, and I love to build speakers but I don't like to spent all my time tweeking a linux on a small embedded board for best possible performance.

My current music station is a windows 7 PC streaming the music from a synology NAS via Foobar2000. I have no audible noise from the PC (eeebox 1501). But, that do not mean that a PC can't be noisy - I have had other PC setups that were very noisy - depending on the tasks the PC performed (moving large files, even just moving the mouse etc)

"Just fine" -- yep -- a pretty relative term. If "just fine" is that what
you enjoy. Fair enough.

"Galvanic isolation" btw. belongs to the list of >1.000.000 tuning proposals.

Good luck.

A PC transmitting digital data especially wireless is not going to affect the sound, even isolated galvonicly as it would only be noise from the PC power supply that could affect the audio output, the data will be intact.
Any digital electronics used to read and transmit digital data is going to have some noise present on the supplies.
So ignoring your patronising answer just fine means bit perfect otherwise you would know about it with clicks etc....
Tuning proposals, we want unadulterated or as near as possible unadulterated to the original signal tuning implies adding something!

Kjedsen: it's only digital to the point of amplification so at the end you will need to choose which device of your audio chain will convert digital to analog, if it's your existing preamp you still need to feed it from sources/player right? those two players I have provided can feed your preamp from any storage device connected in your home shared network including your tablet, PC, NAS etc. so no limitation, you can even control different room set up if it's connected within shared network, anyway, pretty much any solution described above from guys can work, it's all depended on how comfortable you'd like to have it ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.