• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

NAR DAC 101.3 (new product)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Our new product, NAR DAC 101.3 from NAR Audio Labs.

IMG_3637.JPG

NAR DAC 101.3 Webstore Link
Price $549 USD

It is one of the longest project we've ever had, we kept building prototypes, tune, scrap the prototype and start again with a better prototype. After three years, this is what we came up.

Basic spec:
Chip:
BurrBrown's PCM1792 DAC with fully balanced I/V conversion system
BurrBrown's highly acclaimed OPA627AP LPF circuit (OPA627BP upgrade available)
Cirrus Logic CS8416 24/192 receiving circuit with idle hiss prevention. (does not hiss like a snake when no digital input is present)
AcF-5201 24/96 USB interface.

Digital input:
SPDIF (24/192): AES/EBU, Coaxial and TOSLINK
USB (24/96), 88.2KHz not supported.

Analog output:
2VRMS RCA output

User control:
Front panel input selection button and indicator.
Hardware power switch located next to power socket on the back panel.

Product highlight:
Well, we spent three years kept trying different optimization and parts and features. I think this is highlight enough, don't you think? ;)

In case you like to know more, I can tell you that to spice up what we think as a very exciting DAC, we toss out the idea of using a mediocre OP-Amp and go straight to the famous OPA627 family. Equipping standard unit with OPA627AP and provide upgrade options to go to OPA627BP, as well as having the OP-Amp directly soldered to do away with the OP-Amp socket.

NAR DAC 101.3 Webstore Link
Price $549 USD

We are extremely pleased with the result, please let us know if you have any questions regard our product or services.

Thanks

David

Last edited:
Some more photos for your enjoyment ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is the back panel of NAR DAC 101.3, note the multitudes of input, including the very nice sounding, professional AES/EBU digital is also built-in.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The star of the game, BurrBrown's PCM1792 DAC. It takes some coaxing to get the best performance out of it... :headbash: :headbash: :headbash:

A slightly wider view from above PCM1792 chip, you can see the cable inside is fairly well organized, not because we actually organized the cable, but all cable are kept short, which means we don't have to organize them. :D :D :D

You can also see our custom power transformer, which is built to provide the best quality of power. Since great sounding transformer also happens to be extremely efficient, it also wastes less power compared to products that skimps on the transformer. :smash: :smash: :smash:

I guess this one is self explanatory, plug the transformer into 115V if you are in 100~125V region, into 230V if you are in 200~250 region. And use the dummy plug to cover the socket.

The other star of the show, BurrBrown's OPA627AP, instead of using an el-cheapo OP-Amp and :Pinoc: say it is really good, we decided that we will use a really good OP-Amp instead. And if you want better, we have option to upgrade to the even better (and costly) OPA627BP and/or ditch the socket altogether and just solder the sucker onto the circuit board.

There, that's the version I personally prefer, OPA627BP's sound is what I've always liked, and soldered joint is much more reliable, better sounding. Not to mention it will keep your greasy mouse from clicking on those web stores selling boutique OP-Amps. :smash: Killing three birds with one stone! :smash:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.