NAIM Supernait Troubleshooting

Hello all,
I've been perusing the forum for years, however this is my first post.

I bought a Naim Supernait (version 1) on eBay a few years ago and it was not functioning properly. I missed the return timeline.

The issues- right channel has pretty significant buzz/hum.
Amp sometime automatically mutes (safe mode?)
One input plays, a few have no output and one (the Tuner) input through my main house breaker once. Yeah, the main one....
I've pop'ed the hood and nothing looks obviously damaged.
I have a meter but no scope or other audio repair equipment. I'm confident in replacing a cap or resistor if this forum can help me diagnosis, otherwise it's going to have to go back Naim for the $1k+ repair.

Thanks all

Does the amp play a while and then mute, or happens quite fast at turn on? A spike in DC can do this as can output devices shorting to the heatsink.

Try this - disconnect speakers and with one input connected, connect your multimeter to one pair speaker terminals, red to red... set to mV DC, you're looking for a big DC spike at turn on.

The internal bias may need adjusting, certainly a recap is in order by now, try that anyway. With power on and nothing connected you could chase the voltages around the board to see if regulators are working, rails are correct...

Input problems are a pre amp problem maybe? An independent technician will cost a lot less than NAIM. Can you find a service manual?

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t found a SM. If I could find a place to service it, that’s the direction I would go.

I’m an American expat in Japan and can’t find anyone to work on it yet. I’m planning to send my 282 into Naim America soon and may just send this one also.

Yeah it looks lime Focal in Japan will only service within warranty? Salisbury is where you want to send it ;)

The supernait is a beast, love to hear one. my very first proper hifi was a Linn Axis with a little 20W Nait 2. Completely different animal. The Nait 2 sells for a grand now, it was £300 in 1988!

Good day
I have the Supernait board

Attachments

• 95F69A1B-4877-4F77-81EC-818518A1A30A.jpeg
    95F69A1B-4877-4F77-81EC-818518A1A30A.jpeg
    853.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 232115EC-0C6F-40B3-8778-BA0083B1A2E6.jpeg
    232115EC-0C6F-40B3-8778-BA0083B1A2E6.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 121