naim gear recapped and bigger transfomer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i bet i can turn any old naim amp into a giant slayer
i have just modified a budget musical fidleity amp to kick a modern roksan into touch
naim charge a lot of money just for a re capp
i could save you megga bucks and tell you what parts to get

Attachments

• picture smaller_640x480.jpg
    picture smaller_640x480.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 595
hi any naim from nap 140 to 250 to naim nap 160 naim nait .and naim nait 2 & nait 3 to be honest any naim amp with bigger better spec replacement transformer, and bigger hi quality power supply caps
will sound miles better than standard maybe beating their newer more exspensive amps this musical fidelity amp has jumped from a pile of rubbish to a very end amp your amp if it is better than this will sound much much better

if you want to know what parts to use,i need to know what amp you have otherwise the transformer may not fit in the case and it would be handy to know what the ac voltage is from your current transformer easy to do if you have a muliti meter

Hi, Ive got a chrome bumper nap 250, recapped with kendeil main smoothers, star earthed, feedback loop cap is now polyester, resistors in the signal path are vishay dale rn60, no coupling cap (got one on output of preamp) and an rc filter on the input of the regulator board.

What else do you suggest i do?
Cheers matt

hi matt change the transformer for a very hi va at least 500 to over 800va i am not sure what your nap 250 naim transformer va is, but go much bigger and if your caps are the 10.000 make them 22.000 mf and make sure you choose one that is very low noise avondale sell them ,or you could find a good one at RS or farnel
also add inlet mains filter replace your iec soket in your amp
as this makes a big improvement if your mains is dirty which i am sure it will be

"hi matt change the transformer for a very hi va at least 500 to over 800va i am not sure what your nap 250 naim transformer va is, but go much bigger and if your caps are the 10.000 make them 22.000 mf and make sure you choose one that is very low noise avondale sell them ,or you could find a good one at RS or farnel
as this makes a big improvement if your mains is dirty which i am sure it will be"

Sorry, dont know how to quote messages properly.

The bigger caps i understand, but then if they are of a suitable size to start with (which in most gear they probably are not) then this surely couldnt make any difference.

The transformer upgrade, is to charge the bigger caps more quickly? Again if it needs upgrading the original was too small, all for the sake of maybe 15% higher price....

What I'm trying to say is that I dont understand why people pay a lot of cash for equipment that isnt properly made! I learnt most of my electronics stuff from some old guy in my town, and some of the numbers he has shown me are shocking. I have never seen a power supply in comercial equipment that was of a suitable size.

Well, hope you had a good chrismas, sorry for the rant!

bob_v5 said:
"hi matt change the transformer for a very hi va at least 500 to over 800va i am not sure what your nap 250 naim transformer va is, but go much bigger and if your caps are the 10.000 make them 22.000 mf and make sure you choose one that is very low noise avondale sell them ,or you could find a good one at RS or farnel
as this makes a big improvement if your mains is dirty which i am sure it will be"

Sorry, dont know how to quote messages properly.

The bigger caps i understand, but then if they are of a suitable size to start with (which in most gear they probably are not) then this surely couldnt make any difference.

The transformer upgrade, is to charge the bigger caps more quickly? Again if it needs upgrading the original was too small, all for the sake of maybe 15% higher price....

What I'm trying to say is that I dont understand why people pay a lot of cash for equipment that isnt properly made! I learnt most of my electronics stuff from some old guy in my town, and some of the numbers he has shown me are shocking. I have never seen a power supply in comercial equipment that was of a suitable size.

Well, hope you had a good chrismas, sorry for the rant!

hi they just dont, if they did, my musical fidelity would have sold my amp for a grand or more. every thing is priced to keep the amp with its price band same with cd players
in my Experience a very good quality transformer and good caps
makes a bigger improvement also adding mains filtering works great in my home i fitted a mains inlet filter to the amp.
i have yet to change the diodes and modifiy the pre amp but what i have done is excellent as the amp really was very poor
i have owned naim gear in the past they sound nice when you read reviews on naim amps just after replaceing the old model they say new better transformer fitted.
money makers thats all naim are. their pre amps need a power supply calld snap flat cap hi cap to make them better
i have modified loads of cd players and the sad thing is add flat cap 2 for a better sound £500 on top of a £1450 cd player
that is why i modifiy all my hifi
thanks for all your coments

tyee said:
Naim nait 2 here. What caps do I need?

hi mate your amp is very small so what you have to do is find a place to fit them you could do what i did in my musicalfidelity pic
if you could get a transformer in a box out side your amp this will make your amp really hi end you will get bass to die for the musicalfidelity had no bass compered to good quality amps before the mods now it kicks b ut t
i will send you the link for the caps shortly

Attachments

• nait_inside.jpg
    nait_inside.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.