NAD 3140 amp input selector repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a NAD 3140 amp that has been neglected for many years, that I am trying to clean up and use, although there is one critical problem. Behind the input selector knob is a metal shaft about 8" long, that connects to a similar shaft inside the unit near the back. These two shafts were connected by a plastic grooved pressure connector, each shaft simply slides into one end and is help in place by pressure and friction (very much like a Chinese finger puzzle). Unfortunately, from age and use, this connector piece, about 1.5 inches long, is made of plastic, which has dried out and completely crumbled. Is something like this available, or does anyone have a DIY substitute? Thank you!!

First picture, just about dead center, you can see the two metal shafts that have to be coupled. Second picture: you can see the shaft that needs repair, and the one to the right of it that is still intact, with the black plastic coupling. I'm thinking the way to go is going to be a piece of wood (or plastic?) dowel rod drilled out just large enough for the two shaft ends to be wedged into. I could possibly add some glue and/or saw dust just before I'm ready to finally fit them together.

Attachments

• NAD 1.jpg
    NAD 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 154
  • NAD 2.jpg
    NAD 2.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 150

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
1/4" fuel line. If the long shaft wobbles, you can cut rubber hose a little longer than the gap, hold long-shaft aside as you work the hose onto the short-shaft to clear, align, and work the hose onto the long-shaft. Use soapy water as lubrication, it will dry.

If you really can't work the shafts aside, and the shaft rotation is less than 180 degrees, use fuel line and two small hose clamps. Slit the hose up the side so you can get it on. First(!) slip the clamps onto the shafts so you can clamp the hose.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.