NAD 3020 Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I have a NAD 3020 I found in my parent's attic last year - it's about 25 years old, and so far has worked pretty well. However, recently the volume has started to cut out. If I put my ear up to the speakers I can still hear the sound - it's just very quiet, and adjusting the volume doesn't do anything - like it's not being amplified. Sometimes the volume comes back to normal levels for a few minutes, and then 'dies' again.

Any suggestions about what this might be and how to fix it?

NAD 3020 Volume Problems

Try ordering a new pot from NAD. Even though the unit is 25yrs old, a company as respectable as NAD should still carry replacement parts for it. I was able to order a new combo volume/balance pot for my 1155 preamp a few years ago, with no problem. :)

Or, if you can still get some, try some Cramolin contact cleaner (good stuff!) on the pot. :cool: You might have to remove the pot to get a good angle on the pot's interior, but it might be worth it.

Used to be able to get that stuff from Old Colony Sound back in the early 90's. Don't know anymore, haven't seen it for a while. :bawling:

Steve

Which connectors do you mean in particular? I tried connecting the source into the 'normal in' connector (next to 'pre-amp'), and it sounds fine...

Also, I've been looking around for some kind of contact cleaner - anyone know where you can get that in the U.K.?

Thanks for the help!

I meant to clean those contact which are jumpered. But I suspect more of the pot now.

No problem using the power amp in of the NAD, maybe with some cd players you can even get better sound, provided that you have some sort of control on the volume (going straight to the power amp is driving the amp to full throttle!!!)

...and no, you can't use a turntable, only line-level sources.

Does playing with the source selector / tape monitor switches restore the sound?
The switch contacts may well be oxidised.
Contact cleaner is available from any electronic components supplier, but make sure that you get one which is compatible with any plastic components.
Personally, I use WD40 - I know the arguements against it, but it works for me ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.