N-channel JFET and positive Vgs

As far as I remember not far ago (last year) Nelson wrote something about using N-channel JFETs with positive Vgs in an amp design?
Now I can't find it?
I want to read it again......unless I was just dreaming?

I have often wondered what happens as published curves always stops with Vgs = 0?

Can we see curves when Vgs goes positive?

I expect Ids to exceed Idss.......and if handled correct the JFET will stay alive......
I think I actual tried it using the DCR 75 pro tester (by accident) and I think curves just continues but want to know a bit more theory about this.

So if I have a circuit where Vgs goes positive then I can design a gate resistor that limits gate current to be less than what the device can handle.
It requires that this value is specified in data sheet. Will look for that. I might also just make the gate resistor "large enough".
The "project" is an AC-driven tube tester I might try using for matching JFETs. The tester will peak into positive grid voltage. It is made for 9-pin noval type tubes like ECC83 etc. and uses 220V anode voltage. It can be reduced using a vario in front. So this was the main reason asking for the article.

If someone has an idea for nice universal "sockets" for small signal JFETs I would like to know. Maybe 6-pin DIL sockets can be used.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Forward bias of jfets is good to about 2 x the idss and this is the peak figure, and lower than where the Gate starts conducting significantly. Exceptions ? The SiC Semisouth R100's are used with positive Vgs. Offhand I don't know of any others.

What is the largest practical value for a serial gate resistor for a small JFET?
It should be able to drive the gate capacitance?
In my case the AC on the gate will be 100 Hz ripple so very slow. Then I might be able to use a rather large value for the gate resistor?
I want to limit the gate current when Vgs gets positive.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I spent a year in the 1980s designing full custom digital circuits using Gallium Arsenide MESFETs. The basic transistor was a JFET whose gate/source and gate/drain diodes were Schottky. We didn't fret much about forward biasing these diodes, and for speed reasons, we never installed gate resistors. Although the gate/source and gate/drain junctions were incredibly tiny (10 microns by 3 microns), you couldn't damage them from forward bias in nosebleed speed digital circuits. We even used E/D "super buffer" circuits, which operate a depletion mode MESFET as a source follower. And that is a guaranteed way to forward bias the gate/source junction. No problem.

Thank you for this information. Then the only current to worry about is Ids and off course max Vds etc.
So far the tube burn-in tester looks like this. Bias is adjusted via a 10-turns pot which is not visible in the picture.
A PCB overlay will be installed so only socket and LEDs are visible. The idea is to match via LED light emission.

DSC_2227.JPG

I got one board finished and made a quick test using a JFET with very reduced mains voltage. The concept works but I think I need to make a dedicated tester for JFETs. The idea is to test many and group them. I have got some ideas. Here a J113 is under test. -0,9 Vgs was the most "positive" I could get without a slight modification. Therefor Ids is only in the 1mA range.
DSC_2250.JPG

There are some similarities between triodes and JFETs........