My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Attached are two pictures of my setup. It all cost around $30 from parts all bought from ebay. It is powered by a standard 12V ac adaptor. I used one from an old wifi router.

I am using a threaded rod and wing nuts to hold the record. This is a bit annoying so I am going to ditch that and get a smooth rod.

For the 7" records I plan to just immerse them directly in the trough. It's easier and it will clean faster. But how do I prevent the labels from getting damaged? I found this but it would be pricey to ship to the US:

KNOSTI disco-antistat dump +adattatore per 45 giri macchina lava dischi pulizia | eBay

Any suggestions for a homemade solution?

There have been several suggestions that should work, I use two 1/8" plexiglass disks and two disks of dense silicone foam that I cut with a hole saw with a short threaded rod/wingnut arrangement. There are O rings at exactly the right diameter that would work too. The big cork or rubber stoppers should work too.

Yesterday, my 80 kHz unit from VibratoLLC arrived. As I told Louis, I was surprised at how quiet it operates. Nice to know I'll be able to clean and listen to records at the same time if I want to. My record transport was quickly made just so I had something to confirm the unit was OK. I am considering vinylstack's system that will hold three records, but have asked them if there's any way I can hear it in operation. Now that I know Louis' is making a very quiet unit, I don't want to negate that with a "grinder." I'd sure like to hear from anybody who has used the vinylstack system.

Yesterday, my 80 kHz unit from VibratoLLC arrived. As I told Louis, I was surprised at how quiet it operates. Nice to know I'll be able to clean and listen to records at the same time if I want to. My record transport was quickly made just so I had something to confirm the unit was OK. I am considering vinylstack's system that will hold three records, but have asked them if there's any way I can hear it in operation. Now that I know Louis' is making a very quiet unit, I don't want to negate that with a "grinder." I'd sure like to hear from anybody who has used the vinylstack system.

I've been using the vinylstack system and have cleaned about 100 LP's so far. It's a well thought out and well executed product. Putting the records in the stack and mounting them to the motor via the magnet is convenient and the o-rings do an excellent job of protecting the labels from moisture. Even if you are handy with tools and have time on your hands I don't think you'd do better. For me it was easy to click and wait for delivery.

Once the records are done in the ultrasonic tank I just grab the handle of the stack and carry it to my VPI 16.5 for a thorough rinse. The stack holds the records safely while I pull them off one at a time for the rinse.

Regarding the sound of the vinylstack motor:

While not silent, it's damn close. with my 40kHz unit I will never be able to hear it when cleaning. Just the vinylstack motor operating in a quiet room would be difficult to hear from more than a few feet away.

The Vinylstack, in my opinion, rotates too fast and the weight of the records is directly on the motor spindle which could cause premature failure.

I haven't had it long enough to comment on longevity, but I can select the speed with the voltage selector on the power adapter that was supplied as part of the package. Can't imagine needing slower than one revolution in 7 minutes.

- Found this on their website.

It is generally accepted that the best ultrasonic cleaning results are obtained when using a slower RPM. Following are examples of approximate times for one 33 record revolution achieved at the various voltage settings on your power supply:

3.0 volts – 7.0 Minutes 7.5 volts – 2.5 Minutes
4.5 volts – 4.5 Minutes 9.0 volts – 2.0 Minutes
6.0 volts – 3.0 Minutes 12.0 volts – 1.5 Minutes

NOTE: the amount of the voltage used determines the speed of the motor. The Sonic Spin motor is rated for 3 to 24 VDC. If you prefer faster speeds, power supplies up to 24 VDC with a 2.5mm male pin can be used (not included).

Following are examples of approximate running times for one 33 record to achieve a 5 minute clean at various voltages:

3.0 volts – takes 7.0 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 6.5 Minutes
4.5 volts – takes 4.5 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 10 Minutes
6.0 volts – takes 3.0 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 15 Minutes
7.5 volts – takes 2.5 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 18 Minutes
9.0 volts – takes 2.0 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 22.5 Minutes
12 volts – takes 1.5 Minutes for one revolution; run Sonic Spin for approximately 30 Minutes

Hey mizzou,
You're halfway there. Why not finish the DIY job and buy a $20 gear motor, some shaft adapters and build it yourself instead of spending almost $300 on the vinylstack?
Cheers,
B B

HI BB. it's possible I will keep working on my own transport, since I can't seem to keep my hands off my rough test rig today. I cut slots, so dropping the axle loaded with records in is no problem. Still not finding right diameter rod, but some fairly nice grommets work pretty well as spacers. Need two between each disc and I grabbed all the ones at the store, so I'm not able to do 3 records at the moment. Grommets are a little loose too though if I find a slightly larger diameter rod, problem solved . I'll need to look back through the thread for a suitable geared motor. nothing faster than 1 rpm for me.

Mizzou:
Motors $24 at whatever speed you like: H1-46 is 6 Rev. per hour (10 min per rev)
Herbach & Rademan Synchronous motors

9/32 shafts (threaded ends - M6):
Riffe 9/32 Spear shaft extensions

B B

Thanks, B B. Nice of you to put those up for me. I'll look through the thread this weekend. Seem to recall you'd posted a full parts list for yours sometime back. While I can certainly build the thing, some of the components are new to me. How, exactly, is the connection made between rod at motor you linked to? I'd think ideally you'd want some kind of keyed receiver, so the rod just slips in. Rather like my rotisserie's - a square receiver on the motor assembly, square end on the rod. - Jim

Jim,
For my version 3 URC setup, I went magnetic for coupling the record spindle to the motor shaft. This neodymium cap magnet, which is pretty powerful, and under $7, screws right on to the Riffe shaft extensions:

Cup Magnet M6 female thread

On the motor shaft, I used a surplus steel spur gear whose face is roughly the same size as the magnet face, and whose ID matched my takeoff shaft from the motor.

You can get a sense of how solid the connection is by going to the 1:10 mark in my assembly demo video:
B B Version 3 URC Setup Demo

Cheers,
B B

I finally got my setup going this evening but have stumbled at the first hurdle! Could do with some advice on why it doesn't appear to be working in the slightest!

I have an Elma P60H, settings as follows -

80MHz
100% power
35 degrees c
8 mins at 3v on the variable motor

Bath consists of -

4436ml distilled water
89ml IPA
3ml Photo Flo

I degassed the bath for 10 mins beforehand....as you can see there is quite a bit of scum coming up with the records from somewhere and there is still plenty of hair / dust / marks left on these records under the light...

Any ideas?

Last edited: