My version of an Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Anybody ever take the bottom off and have a look at the transducers inside? Any photos possible? It has been said that they are tuned to the bath but seems unlikely when the water level would presumably need to be part of that equation and there are no directions.

I did a quick experiment holding a transducer directly in the water over a piece of kitchen foil. No different effect than if bolted to the bottom. You get perforations in very localised spots. Interesting to know what the distribution of US power is throughout a water bath. I suspect it is not very even. Is anything known about this? Tempted to try another transducer as a receiver and use a CRO to map the distribution. Or get a US receiver. Or is life too short?

I just received mine and I am a bit puzzled. While it seems to work, the buzzing sound is not stable. It seems to change pitch at intervals. There is not a constant buzz. Is it something to worry about?

I am uploading a zipped video of the cleaner working. Hope to get some good feedback :)

I just received mine and I am a bit puzzled. While it seems to work, the buzzing sound is not stable. It seems to change pitch at intervals. There is not a constant buzz. Is it something to worry about?

I am uploading a zipped video of the cleaner working. Hope to get some good feedback :)

Video is helpful, Dimkasta.

I'm curious to hear what others have to say. If the transducer truly is working at 40kHz, then you're not hearing the transducer but rather the secondary vibrations of water, metal parts and the like. Because of different materials, sizes and densities, resonances, etc., I'd expect some variation in those vibration noises. But I'd expect others to be hearing them too.

In addition to the malfunction that the pitch variation would seem to indicate. I find the basic sound of that machine very irritating. I couldn't stay in the same room for very long. A good 40khz machine does not sound like that.

Higher frequency, higher quality machines produce much less audible noise. The mechanical timer on my machine makes more sound than the ultrasonic transducers do.
B B