My Simple DIY Zigmahornet Speaker Cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Amp: Bose Companion 2 (TDA 7377 I.C. Chip - usually for car amp) *modified circuit from the principle of rascal 101
Speaker Driver: 2.8" Bose Companion 2 Fullrange Driver:
Speaker Wire: gauge 18 magnet wire
Source: Nokia 2700 Classic Mobile Phone
Interconnecte Cable : by Cal CTjader
Plywood: 1/2" Marine Ply
Cabinet was made by Tom (rough finish - P1,600 materials and labor)
Finishing: by myself (Polyurethane varnish and top coat Vaspar Super Gloss Varnish - Black Paint Acylic Spray )

Actual Photo Zigmahornet Speaker Cabinet:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Bose Companion 2 Speaker Driver Photo:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Videos:

Video 1: YouTube - Zigmahornet Vocals Test Part 1

Video 2: YouTube - Zigmahornet Vocal Test Part 2

Video 3: YouTube - Zigmahornet Vocal Part 3

Note: The actual sound is better than the video. Video was shown to give an idea how the zigmahornet sounds using Bose companion 2 speaker driver and its amp.

Thanks for watching. More so, thanks to Planet 10 from Ziggie's cabinet plan.:)

Last edited:
Really cool!

I always thought that Bose computer speaker had a bit too much bass, and you have obviously given it a much better cabinet.

P1,600, that's less than $20. I'd say you got an excellent value, kaibigan.
Si Amigo! That's the reason why I chose Zigmahornet to be the new house of Bose Companion2, to maximize its performance. I think the Bose Companion 2 amp matches only its driver.... The Bose speakers in Zigmahornet has less LF with SET Amp. But it was more open and detailed or tubely sound. Maybe, the Bose Amp design is concentrated in LF. I am planning to replace the driver with Audio Nirvana Super 3 in the future.

Thanks for your comment(s).

The Super 3 looks like a very interesting driver. I've never seen a cone quite like that. The response has some favorable characteristics to my newbie eyes.

http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an3cfspecs.jpg

Hi guys

Here's my ziggies. Driver is the Sony/Coral holey basket from a Sony TC-500A RtR deck.

I'm responding because my current project is a pair of the MJK OB's. I currently have another pair of holey baskets in them, but I'm considering trying the AN 3 cast frame, so I'm keen to hear your experiences with that driver.

Doug

Attachments

• zigmas.jpg
    zigmas.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 502
Hi guys

Here's my ziggies. Driver is the Sony/Coral holey basket from a Sony TC-500A RtR deck.

I'm responding because my current project is a pair of the MJK OB's. I currently have another pair of holey baskets in them, but I'm considering trying the AN 3 cast frame, so I'm keen to hear your experiences with that driver.

Doug
I think AN Super 3 in Cast Frame is ok. But you should use that with Zigmahornet cabinet to sing very well. In my own experience, Zigma is better than Voigt Pipe design. I think ziggies are more natural sounding than Voigt. Anyway,please give us your honest opinion of AN Super 3 when try one. Use 2 inches thick foam behind the driver if you use Ziggies.

Good luck!:)

Hi guys

Doug

Nice Zigmahornet there. Very clean.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.