My server burned out ...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jan> My sites have been moved

Just a year later...

'The OVHcloud datacenter ....destroyed in a fire last year had no automatic fire extinguisher system nor an electrical cutoff mechanism'
'arriving firefighters were met with "electric arcs of more than one meter around the exterior door of the energy room"'
'firefighter group leader stating that the temperature in the ground floor room measured 400 degrees Celsius'

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/22/ovhcloud_fire_datacenter_report/
As expected. Price breaker pulling tricks to do stuff cheaper. Besides the missing standard fire extinguishing system also the lack of an "electrical cutoff system". Wow. That is all suspicious as it is covered by law in the EU, contracts/SLA's with the customer and contracts with the insurance company. In the simplest case it are fuses but generally it are motor/spring controlled switches with monitoring/protection modules. The basics of electrical distribution....

Recently I visited such a price breaker datacenter that had no automatic fire extinguishing system nor was a VESDA system available. If one asks and gets the tour (always do this, it says more than nice powerpoint presentations) and watches carefully one sees a lot of other errors and wrong choices. I would not want to be customer in such a place.

Last edited: