My Russian Bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
stoolpigeon said:
I don't think titanium is "very flexible". While it's elastic modulus is lower than steel this is compensated for by it's lower density. It is expensive but that meant nothing to the USSR who built whole submarines out of it.

You have to remember this bike is made sometime in the Eighties....there were AFAIK no successfull attempts at the Ti6Al4V tubed bikes back then??

Magura :)

I recall the same about Ti's timeline and that it had a reputation for being 'noodly' until builders learned to work with the metal. The positive words for aluminum forks are a bit surprising. My Cannondale's sprang back like a bow and were finally replaced with (now-defunct) Profile carbon forks after nearly dislocating my thumb on a bump.

Zen Mod said:

btw- ya didnt answer on my PM...............ya buddies dreks on your amp ? :devilr:

..........naah................ :clown:

To tell you the truth, I didn't pull out the schematic this evening.....as I have to admit that I have had a green button faillure the last couple of days.....I just don't get it. I can see that you have explained things, and therefore I will give it another try tomorrow.

This evening I got away with flashing some fancy metal parts, so nobody asked about my construction and I remained silent :D

rdf said:
I recall the same about Ti's timeline and that it had a reputation for being 'noodly' until builders learned to work with the metal. The positive words for aluminum forks are a bit surprising. My Cannondale's sprang back like a bow and were finally replaced with (now-defunct) Profile carbon forks after nearly dislocating my thumb on a bump.

The positive remarks about the aluminum fork is a relative matter.....compared to a track fork it is quite comfortable ;)

Never thought I'd see a bike thread in an audio forum. But this is also an interesting topic.

I've been on a few bikes, motorcycles, and scooters. The most difficult thing I find is knowing which are designed to glide you through turns. Some are really difficult to handle. Does anyone know of any site that talks about turning stability of bikes?

soongsc said:
Does anyone know of any site that talks about turning stability of bikes?

A bicycle review article will usually list head angle and trail of a bicycle, which are the most important variables related to stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_(bicycles)

This is a pretty good thread. I'm surprised to see comments about learning about fixed gears on the net. When I was a teenager (say 1981 or so), fixed gear bikes were the fashion, and commonly seen on the street. Then there was that explosion in popularity of fixed gear bikes and bike courier jobs when Nelson Vails took the silver medal at the '84 Olympics.

leadbelly said:

A bicycle review article will usually list head angle and trail of a bicycle, which are the most important variables related to stability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_(bicycles)

This is a pretty good thread. I'm surprised to see comments about learning about fixed gears on the net. When I was a teenager (say 1981 or so), fixed gear bikes were the fashion, and commonly seen on the street. Then there was that explosion in popularity of fixed gear bikes and bike courier jobs when Nelson Vails took the silver medal at the '84 Olympics.

Thanks for the site. The graphs really inspires thinking. I started out with a fixed gear bike over 30 years ago thinking that nobody would want to ride a bike like that, well, it got stolen.

I'm surprised to hear that about 1984. Calgary? Wasn't the case in Windsor, and my cousins were racers. I remember Campi hanging from the rafters everywhere. When I moved to Toronto in the late Eighties couriers were just starting into a mountain bike and full suspension phase. Highly entertaining. Even here in Vancouver fixed gears weren't commonly seen until recently. Passed a cherry, beautifully kitted Bianci on my way to lunch just today. The itch gets stronger.

rdf said:
I'm surprised to hear that about 1984. Calgary?

No, this was in Montreal, I've only been in Calgary the last 10 years. Fixed gears were not uncommon back in the day. I never owned a true fixed gear bike, I would make do by opening up a freewheel, pulling out the grooved cogs, and screwing back on the threaded cogs. You get the style but not the substance :)

Montreal makes sense. My first fixed is a 1983 Peugot low-end Reynolds cromoly with new hubs stiched to rims salvaged from the Cannondale. The Gentleman Jim of singles, soft as a couch and as all-day comfy.

Attachments

• gentleman_jim.jpg
    gentleman_jim.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 226
rdf said:
Montreal makes sense. My first fixed is a 1983 Peugot low-end Reynolds cromoly with new hubs stiched to rims salvaged from the Cannondale. The Gentleman Jim of singles, soft as a couch and as all-day comfy.
Is that a Brooks saddle in the pic? I'm finding it difficult to keep old bikes in good condition. the freewheels and hub width is different. Looking for the old Winner 6 cog freewheels that fit on five speed chainstays.

soongsc said:

Is that a Brooks saddle in the pic? I'm finding it difficult to keep old bikes in good condition. the freewheels and hub width is different. Looking for the old Winner 6 cog freewheels that fit on five speed chainstays.

'Tis a Selle Italia Turbo in the pic. For ultra 6 freewheels, try ebay. I saw some NOS ones there recently.

The fenders are gone & ~25 miles of low rolling hills about every second day for the past three months. :) My Cannondale triple was ridden maybe twice. The fixed was the second ride after five years of riding the desk. My legs were rubber for three days.

Nice kit, I'ld love to find a competent frame welder to convert the old 'Dale crit to track dropouts.

rdf said:
The fenders are gone & ~25 miles of low rolling hills about every second day for the past three months. :) My Cannondale triple was ridden maybe twice. The fixed was the second ride after five years of riding the desk. My legs were rubber for three days.

Nice kit, I'ld love to find a competent frame welder to convert the old 'Dale crit to track dropouts.

So you actually did get out :cool:

The old Cannondale could easily be converted without resorting to welding. I for one would never weld on such a frame, as it will need the whole shebang after that.....heat treatment, paint job, truing, you name it,

Naah, I'd bolt on some custom made aluminum dropouts, that's sure a better solution, and a lot cheaper too ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.