My Review of the Audio Technica AT-LP120X-USB Turntable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The AT-LP120XUSB is an updated offering of the former AT-LP120 that retails for ~$250 with the factory mounted AT-VM95E cartridge. Typically considered an entry level table, it's not exactly a revered high-end turntable in audiophile circles, but is capable of excellent sound. Some feel that it's a cheapened version of the LP120, but it still weighs a respectable 17 pounds, and offers some significant upgrades that lend themselves to improved sound.

The tonearm and drive method are unchanged, and are identical to those on the LP140XP. One of the most significant improvements is a fix for the built in phono preamp - it now has an upgraded defeat-able switch and is no longer problematic. It can still also be hooked up to an outboard phono preamp of your choice. Possibly of equal significance is the new stock AT-VM95E elliptical cartridge. It's not only a nice upgrade from the former AT-95E, but there are three impressive full diamond shank (nude) stylus upgrades that are plug and play replacements - 1. VMN95EN (nude elliptical- $99), 2. VMN95ML (nude microline- $149), 3. VMN95SH (nude shibata - $179). The stock VM95E is a great value in a very good cartridge, but the step up to either of the nude options is significant....especially the line contact ML or SH shapes, which should definitely be getting more discussion in audiophile circles. A new AT-HS6 headshell is also included. The problematic vertical tracking angle adjustment has been removed in the 120XUSB, and the anti-skate mechanism improved. It also offers a new lower torque motor that's quieter. Other changes include external RCA jacks for easy removal and replacement of interconnects - a significant difference that offers simple upgrade options. Add an outboard power supply, and the new AT-120XUSB has the makings to become a very respectable performer with improved audio.

An open box deal on the AT-LP120X for $140 prompted me to take the leap. My first move was to add the wonderful AT-VM95SH nude shibata stylus upgrade. A new set of decent RCA interconnect cables followed. Then I added a cork/rubber slip mat to replace the flimsy stock felt mat, and a Brutus record clamp/weight. In a nutshell, this humble turntable and cartridge have far exceeded expectations and sounds amazing. The features function exactly as they should. The built in preamp is acceptably good for those with only line level inputs, and improves even more with a good after market phono stage (I'm using a Lazarus Cascade Basic tube preamp). The VM95SH shibata stylus is top notch for it's price range. It's obviously an excellent match for this tonearm, and I continue to be impressed by the level of performance I'm getting from it. The stock cartridge and configuration is really good, and should satisfy most people perfectly well right out of the box. The low price point allows for some pretty significant stylus upgrades that ultimately offer next level performance. There are certainly more prestigious tables and cartridges on the market, but they tend to cost A LOT more, and offer diminishing performance returns. The LP120X-USB offers excellent value, simple setup, and can be easily upgraded to suit those who appreciate higher-end sound.

81mr9OVJ3bL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81ZGy%2B2cAKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Y9o%2Bl4VqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71Sfq-ZlJhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

714tfY37TlL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I have one! My Technics SL1200 doesn't afford playback of 78's and the (ancient) Thorens TD-115 which I modified for 78's is getting pretty warn. I also have the Audio Technika cart for 78's and short play records. (I adopted Gary Galo's archival phono-preamplifier from Linear Audio for the old recordings).

Here's a comparison of the Line-Out (with the internal amplifier) and the Phono-Out. Gain is ~35dB. Comparing the two outputs it would appear that the little phono-pre THD is ~0.1%

Attachments

• LP120USB_AMP2.PNG
    LP120USB_AMP2.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 64
  • LP120USB_AMP.PNG
    LP120USB_AMP.PNG
    32 KB · Views: 64
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.