My "retro" speaker build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there,

So, I'm here to ask a couple of questions about picking out speakers, etc, for a build I'm working on. I have a empty corner in my office, and I want a nice sounding, single speaker there. I have been in love with the look of the GenevaLab XL speaker:

geneva_xl_white.jpg

... however, it's over $2,000, which is just insane. I'm sure it sounds nice, but I would never spend that much (I can't spend that much!)

So I wanted to go about it a different way, but I wanted to preserve that nice somewhat retro-look that the GenevaLab speaker had. So I decided on the following:

1. Buy a fine wood speaker box
2. Fit it with speakers & amp
3. Fit it with an Apple Airport Express so I can wireless stream audio to it

For the speaker box, i went with this:

dovetailed_009.JPG

It's a 29" wide x 17-1/2" tall x 11" deep speaker cab, with 2 12" speaker mounts. I ordered it to have its baffle come pre-covered in ox-blood grill cloth, so it will have that vintage look to it. I plan on painting it either white or a retro green (leaning towards retro green.) The speaker box will have its "feet" mounted on the "side", so that it stands vertically (1 speaker on top of the other), and it will not have a handle.

So, that leaves me with filling its guts up with electronics. I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I can appreciate the "warm" feeling of sound when it comes out of a real amplifier as opposed to a $4 amplifier in a pair of $30 computer speakers coming directly off the soundcard of the computer.

So my initial thought is to just put a pair of computer speakers in there with an airport express, and be done with it. But I'm willing to do a lot more, if it's worth it. I looked at the audioengine a5+ speakers, which are like $400, and I thought those hooked to an airport express with a DAC between would be a pretty damn good sound.. But that's pretty expensive!

So, my question to you, is if you wanted a pretty nice sound, but nothing award winning, out of this setup, how would you do it? I don't care if the speakers are actually mounted to the baffle or if they're just sitting on a shelf behind the baffle, because you won't be able to see through it anyway.

Thank you kindly

Now that you have built the enclosure we need you to measure the inside of the box, very precisely, so we can have an interior volume so we can start the process of selecting appropriate drivers.
A simple single channel Chip-Amp is easy to come by...as is selecting an appropriate power Supply.
A three-way system will fit your enclosure....A sealed 12 incher, Mid, Tweet............pretty straight-forward.
Please dont just get some drivers that fit, we need to match the woofer to the volume....OK?

_--------------------------------------------------------------Rick.......

hi gambino, very nice built, you're lucky to have those nice plywood, all our good plywoods are exported leaving us the locals none :), btw, you should put the speaker nuts on the inside of the box. good luck fitting the chipamp (LM3886 ?) couldn't agree more with Richard here

Gambino, I've found some "Off the shelf " drivers which will get you started....To the tune of $ 149.65 US dollars...I don't know what the deal is on importing of goods form the US. A twelve inch woofer, dome mid-range & Dome tweeter....and a suitable cross-over. An amp module will be more on top of that $149....USD.

_________________________________________________________Rick......

Thank you all for the kind words!

Gambino, I've found some "Off the shelf " drivers which will get you started....To the tune of $ 149.65 US dollars...I don't know what the deal is on importing of goods form the US. A twelve inch woofer, dome mid-range & Dome tweeter....and a suitable cross-over. An amp module will be more on top of that $149....USD.

_________________________________________________________Rick......

I'd love to hear more about these drivers. What brand, etc?

OK....These are from Parts Express: the #1 source for audio, video & speaker building components a big outlet here in the US.
The drivers selected are the near bottom of the line Dayton brand....some swear by them, some swear AT them.
12' woofer, An EBP suitable for a sealed system, 25-2.5K frequency, 90.5 Db
Dome mid-range,500-6.5K, 89 Db
Dome Tweeter, 1.3K-20K, 89 Db
I ran the numbers & this 12" matches up fine, till we get some actual volume numbers....I used a guess of 2.465......cubic feet....
The crossover runs at 800 and 4.5K, the woofer crossing to the mid at 800Hz, the mid crossing to the tweeter at 4.5K Hz.
Add an amp module & your set-up. There is more to consider of course but these are the basics.
No doubt many will run rampant over these choices but this is a starting point, not set in concrete.

___________________________________________________Rick..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.