My next *pair* of subs for sure!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the 12" peerless has several problems compared to the Shiva, much lower efficiency when actually modelled, the efficiency in a 50L 20Hz box goes down to 82db!!!!! down at 25Hz, it just rolls off very smoothly, but it has lower max output compared to the shiva.

if you are after a high efficiency driver the shivas extra $ pay off compared to the peerless, but if sound quality is your end goal the XLS will give you best results, just make sure you have enough amp to get it moving. it modells best with PR's as well.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Circlotron said:

Yeah, well I've got two 245L boxes at the moment (detailed somewhere else on diyaudio). They were actually a long term sneaky plan by me to get my wife used to the idea of REAL subs. ;) They are not that good compared with what I am thinking about now, just big, and a learning exercise before I get serious.

Didn't know the other 1/2 status so didn't comment but was thinking about the WAF :) I guess once you get to a certain size adding a cm or two here or there increases the volume quite a bit!

What track to play? Well, the theme music to Donkey Kong Country has a piece of strong 22Hz in it IIRC, so maybe I'll try that. I've got Private Investigations on some "best of" CD of theirs; I'll have a listen first and see what it's like.

Haven't heard that.......

I'm not sure if PI has any REALLY deep bass in it but it certainly has some good clean bass, and some excellent guitar work......

The theoretical F3 point of my current speakers is about 36Hz (never measured it) so even if it did have really low stuff I probably wouldn't here it (especially with the steep rolloff of ported boxes)....

Regards,

Tony.

andrew01 said:
Looking at those prices for Adire stuff you'd be better going for the Peerless 830500 12" which can be bought from WES for a bit less than $250 IIRC.

This Peerless 12 inch shapes up really well too. I like it a lot. WES has it for $119 for account holders. Probably ~$160 for u & me.
http://www.wescomponents.com/peerless/831857.pdf Trouble is, I have this preference for 15 inch drivers. The last pair I had was way back in '75/'76 in 9 cu ft boxes (253 litres) I used to use them for making lots of noise with my guitar in my bedroom.

Circlotron/ - hopes no-one finds out his old speakers were Tandy/Radio Shack ones. :cannotbe:

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hope that they weren't Realistic :)

I bought my first album in 1975 :) ..... It was explosive hits 75, I think it's probably still at my parents place, I don't have a turntable........

A friend of mine (in the early 80's) used to love getting the tandy catalogue and making fun of the claims made about the speakers and we also used to be amazed at the sky high prices. Being broke teenagers we were quite happy with what we could scrounge at the local dump :)

Regards,

Tony.

how's this look to you for a "fast sub" (I need to build one that mates well with large Magnepan speakers, and so far I haven't heard anything under $1500 that sounded acceptable)

http://www.dddac.de/op04.htm

those Eton drivers are around $450 US at a vendor in Canada, but from what I read, they may deliver the goods.

definitely not a cheap sub, but it beats a Rel Strata III's price tag

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.