My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
tsiros,

If you would like a relatively inexpensive set of drivers, with a resistive port box kit designed for the driver and in flat panel form, cut with a CNC router, contact Dave at Planet 10 Hi Fi, here, from this thread, just click the link at the bottom of his post.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/214943-my-new-audio-nirvana-drivers-89.html#post3138234

He can provide a full range speaker system that will absolutely floor you with it's performance. He is involved with his yearly audio show this weekend so he may not respond quickly to you.

Melon I have attached the AN 15 pattern guides. The main cone guides are in separate halves, so you will likely need to mount them on card stock to be useful. The only other treatment needed is the application of 2Way Zig glue, to the back of the whizzer on the outer 1/4 and to the back of the main cone on the outer 6mm. Both to force the dispersal of the Raleigh wave that will otherwise form there, through subduction and deflection. Two to three full strength coats will be needed and you will learn from listening, after the first coat has dried, just what you are after with additional coats.

No other work but the ever sticky acrylic glue and the patterns are needed to fully correct the emissions from these superb drivers.

Bud

Attachments

• Super 15.zip
    44.3 KB · Views: 79
Um, that is good and all, but, once more, what does this have to do with the idea that i put forth, three pages and two days back:

?
You're still thinking like a retail audiophile. You can build a lot of fantastic amps for around $400 each and often 300. My Audio Nirvana 12" speakers smoke most speakers I hear. They cost me 300 to build. My money is in my DAC.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
No. It was intended as a joke. Audio can be very addictive;)

What he says. As long as your system connects you to the music. People are different. Rooms are different. No one system for each situation.

But purposely spending that proportion of system budget on a loudspeaker is not good advice.

With low budget systems things are easily skewed -- as part of being a frugal-phile (tm) is that you have to jump at opportunities. For instance can i count the big power amp that cost me -$400 in my system budget?

dave

Hi Melon Head,

I've just started following this thread. I guess you can say what caught my attention the most is the AN15 beats the SEAS 8" on an open baffle... I have a pair of SEAS 8" on an open baffle... Since you are also an owner of a SEAS 8" I take your word for it. I am using mine with a Mark and Daniels AMT to fill in the highs...

Thinking about why would a 15" sound better than a 8" in mids doesn't make much sense. However they are a few postulates how it could have happened.

A AN15" would probably have a whizzer of about 3" from what I could see in the picture. That is typical of the smaller full range speakers. The mass of the 15" is so large that it might decouple into the whizzer at a much lower frequency. So the beautiful mids you are hearing might be mostly from the whizzer cone. So it would make sense that a 3" whizzer (AN15) sounds better than an 8" cone with surround (SEAS). I also have a Fostex FE103 and they treble and mids are quite respectably detailed. So the mids from a 15" with big whizzer might be closer to the sound of a 3" full range. Does it make any sense?

Would love to try the AN15 one day...

Oon

At 4 inch. It is the same size as many full rangers. Not having rubber surrounds at the side also reduces distortion. So it should not be surprising that the mids are better. So with a whizzer this size and a main cone at 15 inch, it could be transition to whizzer takes place at a few hunreds hz...
Oon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.