My New Audio Nirvana Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My family were impressed with the size of this beast when I opened the box today :D

Next to the AN 15 is a Fountek FR88EX (I'm currently building another pair of desktop MARTELLO speakers).

The Fountek would fit inside the whizzer of the AN 15!

Attachments

• IMG_1406.JPG
    IMG_1406.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 201
Effect Of Break In

Slightly off topic, but I started doing some measurements of Thiele Small Parameters for SEAS FA22 with various levels of break in. Each measurement was repeated 3 times. I did not measure Vas. I will later though.
I will let it continue to break in over night and do another measurement in the morning then I will start to measure the AN drivers.
It is interesting to note that the mesasurements are quite a bit different to the published specs of Seas. See if they get closer with further break in.
See the attachment for the results

Edit: The break in procedure used was 10Vpk at 35Hz to 45Hz sweep

Attachments

• Seas parameters.png
    Seas parameters.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
T/S also vary with the voltage used, environmental conditions and measurement system employed. While we are often suspicious of manufacturer specs., & they are usually averages with x production tolerance, it doesn't necessarily follow that home measurements are automatically more representative of the general production run. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, and of course certain manufacturers tend to be more reliable than others on this score. ;) Manufacturers also usually have (much!) better gear & facilities than we do. It then becomes a question of how the balance in is struck in the company between marketing & engineering. Too much of the former in many cases, sadly. :bawling:

With that all said, if the facility is available, I'd always measure my own units whenever possible, irrespective of the manufacturer, even if only for the sake of interest.

Last edited:
I suspect you are completely right, and I am starting to think it is quite a good idea. The last thing I want to do is use a BSC circuit on these speakers

But the NFL rule (No Free Lunch) suggests that there must be a tradeoff with building a box smaller than Vas that pushes the response up by raising the Q. Afterall, it's making use of a resonance so there will be some phase shift somewhere. I'm not sure what it looks like, but I do agree that the attraction of a full-range is no network between amplifier and driver, BSC or otherwise.

T/S also vary with the voltage used, environmental conditions and measurement system employed. While we are often suspicious of manufacturer specs., & they are usually averages with x production tolerance, it doesn't necessarily follow that home measurements are automatically more representative of the general production run. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, and of course certain manufacturers tend to be more reliable than others on this score. ;) Manufacturers also usually have (much!) better gear & facilities than we do. It then becomes a question of how the balance in is struck in the company between marketing & engineering. Too much of the former in many cases, sadly. :bawling:

With that all said, if the facility is available, I'd always measure my own units whenever possible, irrespective of the manufacturer, even if only for the sake of interest.
Yes I agree with all of that.
In addition to that, T/S Parameters change with break in.
I don't have much faith in T/S parameters given that they change with signal strength, etc etc.
Are there standards for measuring TS parameters? Are they even relevant to how we listen to music?

Last edited:
But the NFL rule (No Free Lunch) suggests that there must be a tradeoff with building a box smaller than Vas that pushes the response up by raising the Q. Afterall, it's making use of a resonance so there will be some phase shift somewhere. I'm not sure what it looks like, but I do agree that the attraction of a full-range is no network between amplifier and driver, BSC or otherwise.

I hate the idea of BSC circuits or EQ circuits on full range drivers, if you have to use them then you may as well be using traditional multiway speakers.
I don't mind using 1.5 way though because you are at least maintaining efficiency and you only need an inductor to achieve it.
I also like the idea of a woofer on top and woofer in front like the Ambience enclosure. Probably going to build it for the Seas to see how it sounds.

"A typical 110 mm diameter full-range driver with an Fs of 95 Hz at 0.5 V signal level, might drop to 64 Hz when fed a 5 V input. A driver with a measured Vas of 7 L at 0.5 V, may show a Vas increase to 13 L when tested at 4 V. Qms is typically stable within a few percent, regardless of drive level. Qes and Qts decrease <13% as the drive level rises from 0.5 V to 4 V, due to the changes in Bl. Because Vas can rise significantly and Fs can drop considerably, with a trivial change in measured Mms, the calculated sensitivity value (η0) can appear to drop by >30% as the level changes from 0.5 V to 4 V."

Bloody Hell

Yes I agree with all of that.
In addition to that, T/S Parameters change with break in.

Indeed they can, I didn't bother referring to that for obvious reasons given the discussion.

I don't have much faith in T/S parameters given that they change with signal strength, etc etc.

I do, but like anything else, it depends how you use them. They are a tool, imperfect, like most tools, but useful.

Are there standards for measuring TS parameters?

Yes & no. Measurement criteria can vary, but most manufacturers tend to follow similar paths; typically 1w or 2.83v. What is more likely to vary are production tolerances, and the presentation of data in general, of which T/S are only a part.

Are they even relevant to how we listen to music?

Indirectly yes, since for e.g., Q is a useful way of describing the elecromechanical damping of the drive unit. Granted, this can change to an extent on drive level, atmospheric conditions, & particularly the output impedance of the amplifier, but these can be factored in to a reasonable extent, & it can help you avoid, say, ending up with a speaker possessing +6dB peaking at Fb.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.